Samoa Exchange Links of Interest
"A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people." Mahatma Gandhi
"These last three weeks have changed my life and who I am. I've been able to experience the amazing culture and people of Samoa. They have such a strong pride in themselves and it was so amazing to be able to be exposed to that firsthand. I have discovered new things and created lifelong friends and family. I feel so blessed that I was able to receive this gift and experience it with the people I did. I miss everyone already and I hope to see them all in the future. This trip and everyone involved will always hold a special place in my heart."
Morgan, WA Youth Participant, 1/3/14
American Youth Leadership Program with Samoa
The American Youth Leadership Program (AYLP) with Samoa will offer 20 youth and 3 adults the opportunity to explore the vast historical and cultural traditions of Samoa. The AYLP with Samoa is designed to advance mutual understanding between the people of the United States and Samoa, prepare youth leaders to become responsible citizens, spark an interest in learning about foreign cultures, and develop a cadre of Americans with cultural understanding who are able to compete effectively in the global economy. The program will include a pre-trip orientation on the campus of the University of Wyoming (August 21-24, 2014), three week cultural trip to Samoa mid December 2014 to early January 2015. Exact trip dates will be determined once flight schedules are confirmed. A follow-on project will be carried out in each participant’s local community following the exchange trip. The educational theme for AYLP with Samoa will focus on nutrition and food security issues that are common to the western U.S. and Samoa.
Important Questions and Answers
- Who is eligible to apply?
- How to apply?
- Application forms are available online or by request from Warren Crawford.
- Completed applications are due to the University of Wyoming 4-H Program no later than April 1, 2014.
- The selection process for this opportunity is competitive and participants are encouraged to complete their application as thoroughly as possible. It may be helpful to view this as you would a job or college application.
- What are the criteria for selection?
- How much does it cost?
- What are the expectations of participants?
Application Process & Timeline
- Applications will be available online January 17, 2014
- Completed applications are due April 1, 2014
- By April 15, selected YOUTH applicants will be contacted to schedule a web based interview to be completed in April 2014
- By late April, selected ADULT applicants will be contacted to schedule a web based interview to be completed in May 2014
- The list of finalist and alternates for AYLP will be announced by mid-May 2014
"Unforgettable friends. Unforgettable family. Unforgettable experience."
Alyssa, AZ Youth Participant, 1/4/14
|This exchange program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and is administered by the University of Wyoming, 4-H Youth Development Program.|