Sidebar Site Navigation
Wyoming 4-H Judging Contest Eligibility & Rules
The following information pertains to ALL Wyoming State 4-H Judging Contests.
- Contestants must be 4-H members in good standing in the county they are representing.
- There is no limit to the number of youth that can be entered in a contest.
- All ages are as of January 1 of the year in which the contest takes place. There are three age categories in which an individual may be eligible to compete:
- Junior (8-10 years old)
- Intermediate ( 11-13 years old)
- Senior (14-18 years old)
- Contestants competing as individuals are eligible for all awards in their respective age category.
- Each county may enter a maximum of one senior team (ages 14-18) and one junior team (ages 8-13). A team consists of 3 or 4 designated members; the sum of the three high scores will determine the team score. Only contestants entered as a member of a county team are eligible for team awards.
- Contestant eligibility will be verified using the 4-H Plus software program. It is crucial that State 4-H Office has the most current information possible in order for this verification to take place.
- There are no restrictions on the number of years a 4-H member can compete as an individual or as a team member in a State 4-H Contest.
- Contestants must not have participated in post-secondary (i.e. college, jr. college, etc.) course work or be on a post-secondary team undergoing training in the subject area specifically related to the State 4-H Contest.
- It is the responsibility of each participating county to certify their contestants and evaluate their eligibility in accordance with these rules, regulations, and guidelines.
Rules & Guidelines
- Contestants will not be permitted to talk during any portion of the contest.
- Contestants will not be allowed access to cell phones during any portion of the contest. Please make sure phones are taken care of before the contest orientation.
- Contestants may bring blank note-taking paper and a writing utensil into the contest
- Every reasonable effort will be made to fairly and correctly score the contestant's placing cards.
- Cards without a placing mark will receive a score of zero.
- Cards with multiple marks will receive the lowest score of those marked.
- Cards with undetermined, illegible, or indiscriminate marks will receive a score of zero.
Out-of-State Trips may be awarded to senior teams. The first place senior team will have the opportunity to choose an award trip. In the event multiple awards trips are offered, teams following first place (i.e. second, third, etc.) have the opportunity to choose from the remaining awards trips in their respective order. In the event a team member is unable to compete at a state contest due to circumstances beyond his/her control, eligibility for award trips will be determined by the State 4-H Office.
Financial support for award trips is determined by donations to the Wyoming State 4-H Foundation. See specific contest guidelines for more information regarding trips and donors.
Monetary donations are gladly accepted to provide financial support to youth in the form of awards, out-of-state trips, and competitions beyond the state level. If you, your family, your business, or someone you know are interested in supporting the Wyoming 4-H Program, please contact:
REVISED: January 2013