Sidebar Site Navigation
Samoa Exchange Links of Interest
American Youth Leadership Program with Samoa
Information for Parents
Your child will have a Samoan mom and dad who will love and care for them just like their own children.
Activities throughout the exchange are designed to involve both the American delegation and their Samoan hosts. People from different cultures need to experience what it is like to live and work in another culture in order to be better prepared to live and work in an increasingly interdependent world. We need to develop an understanding of global issues from our perspective as well as those beyond our borders. This program will allow your son/daughter a chance to explore global issues and begin to develop a global perspective that will have a lasting impact.
Specifically, it provides your son/daughter a unique chance to:
- learn about and experience authentic Samoan culture through a host family stay
- engage in community service activities
- network with peers from the Western United States and Samoa
- participate in organized tours and presentations focused on nutrition and food security
- develop project management skills by organizing follow-on projects and activities which will be implemented in their school or local community
- develop communication and presentation skills