Skip to Main Content



UW Student Web Services Frequently Asked Questions

University of Wyoming students with a current UWYO Domain account are entitled to a UW student website on the UW central web servers.  

UW regulations regarding appropriate use of computing and communications facilities can be found at UW Regulation 3-690 ( and UW Regulation 8-30 (

Please Note: authors are responsible for writing SECURE code and implementing secure coding practices. Failure to have secure code on your site may result in your site being down and/or being shut down by Information Technology until the problem is proven to have been resolved.

How do I navigate to my site?

Student website root URLs are found at For example:

UWyo username = cowboy1
Root site URL =

How do I edit my site?

Access to site content is available through mapping a drive.

The path to your student website is in the form: \\students\username$

For example, if your username is "Smith" the path to your web files would be \\students\smith$

For help mapping a drive, see How to Map a Network Drive.

What are the rules for UW student websites?

The University of Wyoming Student Web Server is provided as a teaching tool that allows UW students the opportunity to create academic websites.  These sites are available to all full-time and part-time students.

Unauthorized usage of the University of Wyoming's student websites is prohibited.  These types of usage include but are not limited to:

  • Creating, storing, or sending pornographic material
  • Uploading and/or executing viruses or malware
  • Misrepresenting an individual's identity, source of communication, or data
  • Disclosing, using, or disseminating personal information regarding minors
  • Violating copyrights
  • Plagiarism
  • Advertising and endorsement for commercial purposes or personal financial gain

Information Technology reserves the right to disable or delete content that violates the University of Wyoming Student Website Rules or Unireg 690.

How do I request/create a UW student website?

You must have a currently valid student account at the University of Wyoming. If you do not have a student account, please contact the Academic Support Unit. More information is available at, under the Domain Account heading.

If you are connecting remotely please see the below section on connecting remotely.

Then, submit a creation request from the following page:

How do I delete a UW student website?

There is a deletion request form located at

How do I connect to my website remotely (outside of the University of Wyoming Campus Network) to edit my site?

The supported method to remotely connect to a student website is to use WyoSecure, the University’s VPN client, found at See the WyoSecure VPN FAQ for information on installing and using WyoSecure VPN.

After connecting, you should be able to edit your site normally through mapping a drive. If you have problems connecting, contact the IT Help Desk at or 766-4357.

Can I receive help with editing content on my website?

The University of Wyoming student websites are provided on an as-is basis. Information Technology can only provide assistance in the case that there is a potential problem with the service. Support for editing pages, scripts, graphics, etc. is not the responsibility of Information Technology or the Academic Support Unit, and will not be provided.

What is the quota for my site?

All sites are restricted to a maximum quota (size) of 200 megabytes.

Who is able to edit my website?

Your UWYO account is the only one assigned as an author to your site. Additional author access is not permitted.

What does my default document need to be named?

Any of the following are acceptable default document names:


This requires someone attempting to view your site to only have to type in your site name, such as: If you choose not to use a default document, any potential site-viewer will need to know the full path to your homepage. For example:

What is wrong when my site displays "Directory Listing Denied, This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed?"

If this error occurs, then this means there is no default document found in the root folder of the URL. Either create an acceptable default document, or provide the full path to a page

What are the backup and restore policies for my site?

If you need a file from your website restored, contact the IT Help Desk at or 766-4357.

Are there any restrictions concerning file extensions that I should know about?

Content ending with the extensions of: .exe, .bat, .com, .vbs, .cmd, .log, .dat, .ini, .pol, is disabled.

Can my site be disabled without my approval?

If a site is suspected of causing a problem, Information Technology reserves the right to stop service of the site until the problem is resolved. A site can also be disabled if it is found to be in violation of UNIREG 690.

Can my site use SSL

At this time, Information Technology does not provide support for SSL sites.

SSL: Secure Sockets Layer, encrypts web traffic and is used for data that is confidential or should otherwise be secure (https://).

How does the Data Access support structure work?

Each site is created with a folder in it that is setup for data access. The name of the folder is “DA” and it has two special characteristics that allow it to act as a folder for data access. The first characteristic is that anything that is in the folder is not directly “browseable” via the web. For instance, if you were to put a database in that directory someone could not guess the name of the database, put the URL into a web browser, and download the database and all of its contents to their local computer. The second characteristic for the DA folder is that it is writeable via the guest account. This allows you to setup a DSN-Less connection to a database and pull information from, or push information to a database.

Reviewed: 1212 By: CJ

Additional help with the installation and configuration of
UW-supported software is available:
Contact the IT Help Desk at 766-HELP (4357), option 1
Contact the IT Help Desk at 766-HELP (4357), option 1
Come to the student computer lab in the lobby of the
Information Technology Center.

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us