How to Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in FAFSA
We strongly encourage the IRS Data Retrieval process for all students who filed a FAFSA. Certain tax filers may not be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval and will need to request an IRS Tax Transcript instead.
To successfully use the IRS Data Retrieval option you must:
You will be not be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval option if:
- Your marital status changes after December 31 of the same tax year.
- You filed as "Married Filing Separately".
- You filed an amended tax return.
- You filed a foreign tax return.
- You filed your taxes within the last 8 weeks.
To update your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, the following steps should be used:
- Log into the FAFSA website at www.FAFSA.ed.gov.
- Click on Start Here.
- Click on Make Corrections.
- Click on Financial Information Tab to bring you to the Parent/Student Tax Information.
- Select Already Completed (allow 2-3 weeks from electronic filing date before using IRS Data Retrieval).
Read through the list of statements and check "Yes" or "No". If all of the statements are correctly answered "No" then you will be able to try to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Enter your FSA ID and click on Link To IRS.
Fill in the information as instructed. You MUST fill in your address exactly how it appears on your Tax Return Form. Click Submit and if done correctly the IRS data will appear.
- Click on the option Transfer Now. Do not make changes to IRS data.
- Review the Income Wages Earned from W2s, Business Income or Farm Income.
- Sign with student FSA ID (if dependent, parent FSA ID is also required) and submit your FAFSA to update information.