Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Internships for Academic Credit

  • Most programs of study at the University of Wyoming do not require students to do an internship to graduate.  If your major is one that does require an internship then check with your advisor and/or faculty sponsor for the requirements you need to fulfill your internship obligations before seeking the internship.  For clarification, internships are also called 'summer jobs', 'jobs related to your major', 'experiential education', 'cooperative education', 'co-ops', etc.  The word internship often gets used pretty loosely (see definitions).
  • Students can choose to do an internship for credit, with the approval of an academic department, during the summer, fall or spring sessions although typically summer is the session of choice for many.
  • Summer internship experiences are usually not a problem with regard to your status as a UW student.  However, if you decide to do an internship for academic credit during a semester, make sure you consider whether you prefer part-time or full-time student status.  Being less than a full-time student (12 hours) can affect the status of financial aid, insurance, etc.   If your internship takes you away from the UW campus during an academic semester, additional obligations may include taking care of on-campus housing agreements and updating your 'internship address' with Office of the Registrar.
  • Other than to gain experience, reasons to do an internship for credit include: 1) credits can count toward your major or minor area of study, perhaps as electives, 2) some companies require their interns to seek credit before participating in the internship, 3) internship grades shows up on the transcript which could be beneficial for future job searching at companies who desire internships for credit or for future graduate schools where competition is tough and internships for credit are seen as more beneficial learning.
  • The Advising • Career • Exploratory Studies Center does not award academic credit for these experiences however; we can clarify the credit process and head you toward the right college, program, or person who can grant credit (also see College links).
  • To gather answers as to whether or not you should seek internship credit for part-time or full-time status, you can check with your academic advisor, your college Dean's Office, or contact a Career Services Coordinator in the Advising • Career • Exploratory Studies Center, 222 Knight Hall, 766-2398,

College of Agriculture

Students interested in Agriculture internships may speak with their academic adviser or speak with an internship coordinator; there is an internship coordinator for each department in the college. In the case of Ag Communications internships or for any student not certain who to contact, they should contact Mark Stayton in Agriculture 160, or at Credits are determined by the internship coordinator in consultation with employer and student but are consistent with university regulations, ie. 45 hours of coursework for each semester credit hour.

College of Arts and Sciences

Students may earn credit for appropriate internships through most departments/programs in the College of Arts and Sciences. Prior to beginning an internship, students must work with an A&S faculty sponsor in the department who will discuss allowable credit hours for the nature of the internship work and any accompanying academic work/portfolio. Class standing, grade point average, course prerequisites may play a role in this discussion.
Students should contact the relevant department/program and/or faculty member. If a department's internship course number is not available or not appropriate for certain internships, or if students do not know who to contact the A&S Dean's Office; A&S Bldg. 114, 766-4106.

College of Business

College of Business will only grant credit to undergraduate and graduate students with majors declared in the college. Academic credit can be received during the fall, spring, or summer sessions.
All COB students interested in receiving credit must visit the Johnson Career Center, Room 187 in the College of Business. The Johnson Career Center staff will inform you of all internship obligations. They can also be reached at 766-4807 or

College of Education

Internships for academic credit are not offered through this college. Education students get course credit by participating in practicum during the Phases section of courses. Also, all Education students are required to participate in Student Teaching before graduation.
Although summer internships for credit are not offered through Education, working at a summer camp with children would be a great way to ‘test-drive' this career choice. Check with Center for Advising and Career Services if interested in seeking out these types of opportunities.

College of Engineering and Applied Science

For internship information contact your academic advisor in your respective department first since most departments have an internship course of some sort. The college does have a general Engineering Sciences internship/co-op (ES-4970) that Dr. Steve Barrett uses for departments if needed. Check with your department first, then Dr. Barrett, EN-2076 if needed.

College of Heath Sciences

For internship information contact a professor in the department that you are majoring in.

College of Law

Legal Externships: (1-2 hours max. per semester; max. 4 hours in academic career)
Legal training in governmental offices or nonprofit organizations where the student is performing legal work under the direct supervision of a practicing attorney or judge. No student may receive credit in an external program unless it has been previously approved by the College of Law faculty. Credit earned for a grade of S/U only. Prerequisite: Second- or third-year standing. You can contact Ashli Tomisich at 766-4074 or or Tim Crawford at 766-6550 or for more information regarding internships or externships.

School of Energy Resources

Students may earn credit for internships or undergraduate research for most concentrations in the Energy Resource Management and Development program. Contact Pam Henderson at for more information.

Haub School of Environment and Natural Resources

Students may earn credit for internships. Contact your academic advisor for more information.

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon