Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Asset Management

Division of Administration




Equipment Tagging

Which equipment needs to be tagged?

  1. Capitalized equipment - non-consumable items with a net cost of  $5,000 or greater and a useful life of more than one year.

  2. Sensitive equipment computers, printers, and peripherals, scientific engineering, laboratory, medical and research equipment with a cost between $2,500 and $4,999.99

  3. Shop constructed equipment and department originated assets, regardless of the per payment cost, purchased by a department to be assembled into a non-consumable unit with a useful life of more than one year and a final cost of $2,500 or more should be coded equipment. Items assembled by A&S Shops with an anticipated final cost of $2,500 or greater should be coded equipment. Departments should note the name of the project and anticipated final cost on all Payments/IDRs/Field POs issued for each project.


Inventory Management

What shows up on our inventory?


All sensitive and capitalized equipment, purchased by, constructed by or transferred to the department with an original cost of $2,500 or greater for sensitive equipment and over $5,000 for capitalized equipment. Assets that are lost, stolen, sold or junked will be taken off the inventory as soon as the Property Office receives written notification.


What does the X after the UW inventory number on our inventory mean?


The equipment with an X number on a departmental inventory was not physically tagged by the Property Office, therefore does not have an inventory sticker on it. Nevertheless, an inventory number was assigned to the equipment and it was entered into Asset Management with the assigned number.

Surplus Property

How do we dispose of surplus equipment?

The first step is the completion of the Property Disposal Request form and the return of the form to the Property Office. Following this, the Property Office inspects the equipment and places a work order for the item(s) to be moved to the depot for resale, to be recycled, or to the landfill if the top two criteria can not be met.

In case your department has E-Waste, a Property Disposal Request form needs to be send to the Property Office. A property technician will then contact and advise you on the appropriate disposal method. The Property Office will turn in a request to RMMC for pickup. RMMC does not accept requests for E-Waste pickup from anyone except the Property Office.


How do we purchase equipment from other departments or the property office?


Departments can purchase surplus directly from other departments using an IDR form. Equipment located at the surplus depot can also be purchased with an IDR form during our monthly sales or by appointment.


How do we transport our surplus property?


The movers can transport surplus to the depot or the landfill if this is desired. Only if the Property Office places the work order, it will be free of charge to the department. Departments can also move equipment to the depot by themselves, if an appointment with a property tech is made.

In case your department needs to remove E-Waste, a Property Disposal Request Form needs to be sent to the Property Office. A property technician will then contact and advise you on the appropriate disposal method.


Can I advertise/sell/dispose surplus equipment myself without notifying property?


No - If you have surplus items you want to advertise on the Internet listserv or dispose/sell otherwise, please call the property office at 6-6619. The Property Office will screen the items. This will ensure that the University continues to meet state and federal guidelines regulating property disposal and transfers.

When can the public purchase surplus equipment?


After surplus equipment has been held for departmental purchase for at least two weeks, it will become available to the public, unless it is reserved for departmental sale only. All sales are advertised on the Property homepage. Equipment advertised for a previous sale can be paid for and picked up by appointment. Cash and checks are accepted, all sales are taxable unless the purchaser provides the appropriate tax-exempt forms/letters at the time of the sale. All sales are advertised "as is, where is, and without any warranties" and All Sales Are Final.

Share This Page:

Contact Us

University of Wyoming Property Office

101 Old Main

Dept. 3314

1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-2302

Fax: 307-766-6762


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon