Some of the content on this website requires JavaScript to be enabled in your web browser to function as intended. While the website is still usable without JavaScript, it should be enabled to enjoy the full interactive experience.

Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Department of Risk Management|Division of Administration


Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What does the insurance policy cover?

Answer: The Student Insurance is a basic injury and illness insurance.  There is a maximum payout of $20,000 per injury/illness.   The deductible is $250/policy year, after which the insurance pays 75% of usual and customary, with caps in some inpatient and outpatient categories.

Question: Does the plan provide dental coverage?

Answer: No, there is no dental or vision coverage available.

Question: Can students purchase Student Insurance if they take only 3 credits?

Answer: No, undergraduate students must be enrolled for at least 6 credit-hours to be eligible for enrollment in the Student Insurance.  However, graduate students taking less than 4.5 hours can petition for an exception (see Optional Student Fee Package Petition on the Graduate Student Resources website).  This petition must be completed, have all signatures and be in the Registrar's Office by the 10th day of the semester.

Question: Does this policy cover UW Outreach or UW/CC students?

Answer: Yes, however those students are subject to the deductible of $250 right at the start of their medical services (unless they are in Laramie and can use the Student Health Service).   Those students must also meet the credit hour thresholds (6 or more hours undergraduate, 4.5 hours or more graduate) and will be assessed the Part-time Benefit Package fee.

Question: Can coverage be obtained for student spouses or dependents?

Answer: Only for international students.

Question: Is it possible to get health insurance coverage over the summer?

Answer: One of two circumstances must apply for a student to be eligible for the Student insurance in the summer.    1.  The student was an eligible student during the spring semester and is now losing existing coverage within 31 days after a change in family status or loss of coverage through parent's or spouse's employment, or 2.  The student is enrolled in at least 1 credit hour during the summer session.  A student may enroll for insurance during the dates the summer class is offered.  If either of these applies, students may enroll in the Student Insurance by completing an enrollment form in Room 248 Knight Hall.

Question:  How can I get a policy brochure?

Answer:  Go online to see the brochure ( or pick one up at 248 Knight Hall.

Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming Medallion
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us // Download Adobe Reader // Accessibility Accessibility information icon