1000 E. University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071
Phone: (307) 766-5160
Toll Free: (800) 342-5996
Fax: (307) 766-4042
The original portion of the Geology Building was originally the Science Hall. The additions were added in the 1920s and the name was changed. The Building is primarily known today for its interactive Geology Museum, containing an extraordinary collection of fossils and bones. East of the front entrance to the Geology Museum, now almost hidden by trees, is a large metal dinosaur built by Dr. Samuel Knight. The copper plated model was completed after two years’ work in April, 1964. It has been a “rendezvous” site ever since.
In 2009, the university was faced with steep and sudden budget cuts. It briefly appeared as though the beloved museum would close its doors for good. After a groundswell of public support, the museum today is not only saved but newly remodeled.
The west façade of the building, with its steep arches over the dormers and entrance, is an example of Gothic style architecture. One of the few residential examples of Gothic architecture in Laramie is the house where Sam Knight lived, five blocks south at 310 S.10th Street.