1000 E. University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071
Phone: (307) 766-5160
Toll Free: (800) 342-5996
Fax: (307) 766-4042
Knight hall was officially named in 1941, for Emma Howell Knight, the mother of famed geology professor Samuel Knight. Mrs. Knight served as dean of Women from 1911-1921. The structure served as a dormitory until 1971, first for women and later, in the 1960s, for graduate men. It was converted into offices in 1972.
When excavation began for the building, five bodies were unearthed, several with evidence of bullet wounds. Nearly 60 year later, in the summer of 2004, crews laying new pipe in the alley west of Knight Hall encountered another body, apparently from the same old burial ground.
KUWR, Wyoming Public Radio, occupies the basement of Knight Hall’s west end. The current station dates from 1966 when its first location was the top floor of the “tower” of the Student Union Building. It was moved to Knight soon after the rest of building was converted to offices. Public Radio in Laramie actually dates back to 1926 when Wyoming’s first radio station was established in the basement of Laramie’s Episcopal Cathedral with funding provided by Mrs. Edward Harriman. The widow of the Union pacific railroad magnate, she believed such a facility was needed to benefit the railway crews on trains between Laramie and Cheyenne or Rawlins. Unfortunately a tragic accident soon after the station’s installation led to the electrocution of a young engineer. The incident, combined with a change in church bishops, led to the equipment being boxed up and sent to UW for students to operate.