Beyond the Classroom
ACADEMIC AND STUDENT PROGRAMS - CANR
Where can I go? Almost Anywhere!
Beyond the Classroom offers grants to College of Agriculture and Natural Resources students participating in international independent study programs , college/university sponsored international study programs, or faculty-led study tours. The program’s goal is to help students gain an appreciation of other cultures and the global nature of today’s economy.
- How this activity will advance your academic and professional goals;
- If a non-UW sponsored trip, more about the nature of the activity;
- Previous international experience(s);
- Your plan for funding this activity.
Submit completed applications to the College of Agriculture & Natural Resources Dean's Office no later than 5pm Monday November 14, 2016. Decisions will be made by November 22, 2016. THIS IS THE ONLY APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THIS ACADEMIC YEAR. THERE IS NO SPRING APPLICATION. If you are contemplating a summer study abroad, apply now.
Grants range from $500 - $1,000 per student.
Award recipient will be required to submit a short report (including photos) describing their experience OR post reports to the college Beyond the Classroom blog. All reports should include photos. Reports/blogs are due no later than one month after travel is completed.
- Applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens;
- Full-time undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in the College of Agriculture & Natural Resources with a minimum GPA of 2.5 or better for undergraduates or 3.0 for graduate students;
- Have completed at least one semester of coursework in the College of Agriculture & Natural Resources.
- Grants are competitive. Applications are evaluated based on academic and professional goals as related to the proposed activity and academic merit. Submission of an application does not guarantee funding.
- Priority will be given to undergraduates and to students who have never received Beyond the Classroom funds and those who have limited international experience.
- Students with several funding sources for their international experience will be viewed more favorably.
- Funding is for educational opportunities including: faculty-led study tours, summer research/study trips coordinated by a faculty member, university sponsored study abroad programs, individual international educational opportunities, etc.
- Program does not cover post-graduation travel UNLESS you are enrolled in a UW class.
- Beyond the Classroom does not support individual student travel to attend conferences.
For additional information, please contact Anne Leonard at firstname.lastname@example.org or (307) 766-4134. Print a copy of these guidelines: 2016/2017 Beyond the Classroom Guidelines (pdf)