214 S. 14th Street
Laramie, WY 82070
Phone: (307) 766-4166
Fax: (307) 766-6824
Our mission is to foster a spirit of loyalty and fraternity among graduates and former students of the University of Wyoming and to promote the general welfare, development, achievement and honor of the University.
118 years and still going strong! UWAA was established March 26, 1895 with eight alumni in attendance. As stated in the bylaws, "The object of this association shall be the promotion of University interests and the affiliation of its graduates." We continue to fulfill this mission today and currently have over 16,000 members.
The first alumni banquet was held on June 20, 1895. It was at this event that, indirectly, the school colors were chosen. Funds were unavailable for decorations, so two banquet organizers (Dick Abrams and Rebecca Johnson) traveled to Laramie Springs to look for native flowers. They came back with a buggy full of Brown-Eyed Susan’s, which were such a hit that brown and yellow were adopted as the school colors.
The first Homecoming was held in 1922, under the guidance of the Alumni Association and its president, Dr. S.H. Knight, BS '13. During Knight's presidency, the first alumni magazine also appeared. Volume one, number one, was distributed in February 1921. The Alumnews is now published 4 times a year and mailed to all active members.