Sidebar Site Navigation
What you need to know if you are Guard or Reserve
SIMULTANEOUS MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM (SMP)
The intent of the Simultaneous Membership Program is to increase officer accessions into the National Guard and the Army Reserve by allowing enlisted soldiers to earn their commission through ROTC while simultaneously applying their newly learned officer skills in a leadership position during Guard or Reserve unit drills.
ROTC SMP students receive:
- 100% tuition and fees through the Wyoming Army National Guard; or
- 75% tuition and fees through the Federal Tuition Assistance (NOTE: Army Reserve Soldiers only qualify for the Federal Tuition Assistance);
- Once contracted with the ROTC (need minimum of 30 credit hours to contract), drill pay in the grade of SGT E5 ($255/month) or current rank (whichever is higher);
- SMP students that have completed Basic and Advanced Individual Training (AIT) qualify to receive the Montgomery GI Bill and Montgomery GI Bill Kicker ($659/month);
- SMP students also receive monthly stipend of up to $500 per month ($350/month for a sophomore, $450/month for a junior; and $500/month for a senior); and
- Room & Board scholarship (award amounts for room & board scholarships are based on an order of merit list). Simultaneous Membership students are receiving more than$1,200 per month (in addition to tuition payments) while they attend college.
The Simultaneous Membership Program is available to incoming freshmen, transfer students from community colleges or other universities, graduate students, law students, or any student with at least 2 years left to earn a degree at the University of Wyoming.
If a student enlists in the Army National Guard or Army Reserves to take advantage of the Simultaneous Membership Program, he or she may be eligible for an enlistment bonus and existing student loan repayments.
Note that contracted SMP Cadets are non-deployable.
For more information:
- Call the Enrollment Officer at (307)766-3390 or contact the University of Wyoming Army ROTC.