Frequently a culminating experience for art majors is ART 4400 Internship. This component of the art program is designed to provide majors with an educational experience that will integrate theoretical ideas, gained from the art program into practice. During an art internship placement, the art major may practice and test knowledge gained in the classroom as well as learn how knowledge and expertise from studio, design and art history are applied in the work site. An internship placement is designed to provide art majors with the opportunity to develop competencies that are necessary to assume professional responsibilities in public, private, corporate, community, and/or academic settings. The internship should help students meet their professional goals.
1. The student will play an active role in selecting the internship site.
2. The student will play an active role in planning the internship experience.
3. The student will select the internship site based on their professional goals.
4. The internship should meet the "real" needs of the agency in terms of needs assessment,
program planning, implementation, and evaluation.
5. The internship should be designed to provide the student with a wide variety of opportunities
and experiences that are reflective of actual responsibilities of art professionals.
6. The internship will take place under the supervision and guidance of an individual who can
create learning experiences out of actual work situations.
7. The internship supervisor should be knowledgeable in the student's area of specialization.
8. Students will be evaluated in terms of their (a) increased understanding, knowledge, and
abilities specific to the internship and (b) contributions to the agency's program.
• Students must be a junior level standing and a minimum of 12 hours in the major area are
required for ART 4400 Internship.
• Students must select the site for the Internship Experience under the guidance of my advisor.
• Students must submit the Academic Contract for ART 4400 Internship before the beginning of
the semester or I may not be permitted to enroll until the following semester.
• Students must approve with faculty sponsor, my Advisor or the Department Head to enroll in
ART 4400 Internship.
• Students must notify my faculty sponsor, my Advisor and the Department Head, if they decide
to withdraw from the Internship Experience for any reason.
• Each student interested in an internship much complete an internship packet.
For more information on internships:
please contact the Art Office firstname.lastname@example.org