Install Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 from the UW Network
Important: Microsoft strongly recommends the use of 32-bit (x86) versions of Office 2010, Project 2010, and Visio 2010 applications as the default option for all platforms. (These directions are for the 32-bit version of Office Professional Plus 2010. For information on the 64-bit version, please contact the IT Help Desk or an IT user consultant.)
Through the Microsoft Campus Agreement, the University of Wyoming (UW) provides the latest versions of Microsoft Office (for both Windows and Macintosh operating systems) for UW-owned computers. Supported versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system are also provided through this agreement. These specific Microsoft software installations are provided free of charge to departments.
Cooperating agencies may be eligible to purchase software through the UW Microsoft Academic Select License Program. Further information on this program can be found on the UW Select Program Web page (www.uwyo.edu/InfoTech/Services/Software/select/), or call 766-3686.
For ease of installation of this software, Information Technology (IT) provides network installation points. These network locations are restricted to UWYO domain accounts, and the Microsoft licenses restrict the installation of these products to UW-owned computers only.
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Applications
- Outlook with Business Contact Manager
- SharePoint Workspace
Minimum System Requirements for Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
- Processor: 500 MHz processor or higher; 1 GHz required for Outlook with Business Contact Manager
- Operating System: Windows XP with Service Pack (SP) 3 (32-bit), Windows Vista with SP1 (32-bit or 64-bit), Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit or 64-bit) with MSXML 6.0 installed, Windows Server 2008 R2 (32-bit or 64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit).
- Memory (RAM): 256 MB RAM or higher; 512 MB recommended for graphics features, Outlook Instant Search, Outlook with Business Contact Manager, Communicator, and certain advanced functionality
- Hard drive space: 3.5GB.
NOTE: Hard disk space usage varies depending on whether installed from a download or from CD and based on the chosen configuration; custom installation choices may require more or less hard disk space; a complete installation will require more hard disk space.
- Additional information on the system requirements for Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 and specific items and services can be found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624351.aspx.
NOTE: These are the minimum requirements for running Office Professional Plus 2010. Performance may be degraded if the computer resources are limited by a minimum configuration.
NOTE: It is recommended that you uninstall all previous versions of Microsoft Office and any beta Microsoft applications prior to installing Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.
NOTE: If you are running Windows Vista, you will be asked to reboot your computer after the install. Be sure to close all other windows before beginning install.
- Accessing the Network Installation Point for Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
- Click the Start menu button, and click in the Search program and files box (or click Run in Windows XP).
- In the Search program and files box (or the Run window), type \\uwapps.uwyo.edu\office2010ProPlus$\setup.exe, and press Enter.
NOTE: Make sure that you have typed the correct slashes (i.e. \ and not /).
- If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you may get a User Account Control warning. Click Yes (or Continue).
- If you are running Windows XP, you may get a Security Warning. Click Run.
- Installing Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
- In the Read the Microsoft Software License Terms window, click the I accept the terms of this agreement check box, and click Continue.
- In the Choose the installation you want window, click Install Now.
- In the Thank you for installing Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 window, click Close.
- If you are running Windows Vista, you may be prompted to reboot your computer. Make sure all your other windows are closed, and click Yes.
- Opening a Microsoft Office Application
- To open an Office 2010 application, click the Start menu button, point to All Programs (or Programs), point to Microsoft Office, and click whichever Office application you would like to open.
- The first time opening an Office 2010 application, you will get a Help Protect and Improve Microsoft Office screen. Select Use Recommended Settings and click OK.
- If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you may get another User Account Control warning. Click Yes (or Continue).
- If you get an error message, you are already signed up for Automatic Updates. Click OK.
- Creating a shortcut on your Desktop for an application
- Click the Start menu button, point to All Programs (or Programs)
- Point to Microsoft Office.
- Right-click the application you would like to create a shortcut for, click Send to, and click Desktop (create shortcut).
Reviewed: 1110 By: AH, GG
Additional help with the installation and configuration of
UW-supported software is available:
Contact the IT Help Desk at 766-HELP (4357), option 1
Contact your IT user consultant
Contact the IT Help Desk at 766-HELP (4357), option 1
Come to the student computer lab in the lobby of the
Information Technology Center.