Request a Mathematica License for Use on Faculty and Staff Personal Computers
Mathematica is a software package which is ideal for communicating scientific ideas, whether this is visualization of a concept in an intro-level course, or creating a simulation of a new idea related to research. Mathematica is used in virtually all of the world’s top universities and colleges, and is commonly used in the following types of departments – Mathematical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Business and Finance, Life Sciences, Engineering, Computer Science.
Wolfram|Alpha Pro is an engine for computing answers and providing knowledge. It works by using its vast store of expert-level knowledge and algorithms to automatically answer questions, do analysis, and generate reports. Wolfram|Alpha’s long-term goal is to make all systematic knowledge computable and broadly accessible.
Home Use Licenses are designed to give users who have Mathematica on a work computer the convenience of using it on their home computer as well.
Request a Mathematica Home-Use License
- Go to
- If you do not know your activation key, click Where do I find the activation key? A box with information on how to obtain the key will pop up.
- Enter your site activation key in the box provided, and select the
button next to A new home-use license under What are you requesting? Click
- On the next page, select answers to the questions marked with a red asterisk. Read the User Agreement and click on
Continue when you are done.
- Fill out the information on the Home-Use Mathematica License Request
Form. Under How may we verify your status as a current employee of
your organization?, choose My status can be verified via our online staff directory at the following URL: and enter
http://directory.uwyo.edu. Click Submit when you are done.
Your request will be sent to Wolfram Research for approval. If your request is approved, you will receive your license via the medium you chose. If you chose to download the file, the instructions are below.
- 1. Check your email. Locate the email from Wolfram with your activation key (the activation key will also be available when you log in). Click the link under
“To download your product from the Wolfram User Portal, go to:” in the body of the message.
- On the Wolfram User Portal webpage:
- If you have a Wolfram ID and know your password, enter your Wolfram ID and Password under
Sign In. Click on the Sign In button to continue.
- If you do not know your password, click on Forgot your password and follow the instructions on the subsequent web pages.
- If you do not have a Wolfram ID, click on Create Account under
Don’t have a Wolfram ID? and create your account.
Note: You must use your @uwyo.edu email address.
- Once your account has been created, click on the Product Summary page link.
- On the Mathematica for Sites page, you will find your activation key in the center of the page. The status will say "Awaiting Activation" until it has been entered during the program installation. Click on the "How does activation work?" link for more information.
- At the bottom of the screen under Downloads, select the platform you want to download the product for, and click on the
- In the Download File Information box, click on the Start Download button to begin the download.
Installing Mathematica on a Mac
- Locate the file you downloaded from Wolfram.
- For Mac, double click the file to download the installer. Locate and double click the installer to mount the image.
- In the Wolfram Mathematica 9 window, click on the Mathematica icon and drag it into the
Applications folder to the right.
- Go to your Applications folder and double click the Mathematica icon.
- In the “Mathematica” is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?
window, click Open.
- In the Wolfram Mathematica 9 window, type or paste in the activation key you received in email in the
Activation Key box, and click
- If your activation was successful, in the Read the Mathematica License Agreement window, read the agreement. Check the box next to “I accept the terms of this agreement” and click
- Mathematica will launch for use.
- Double click on Extras.pkg to install the browser plugin and Spotlight
- In the Welcome to Mathematica Extras Installer window, click Continue.
- In the Standard Install on “Macintosh HD” window, click Install.
- If prompted, enter the Name and Password of the administrator account on your computer, and click on
- In the The installation was completed successfully window, click Close.
Installing Mathematica on a PC
- Locate the file you downloaded from Wolfram. Double click it to launch the installation.
- If you receive an Open File – Security Warning window asking if you want to run the file, click on the
- In the Wolfram Mathematica Setup window, click Next.
- In the Destination Location window, select the location for installing Mathematica and click
- In the Select Components window, click Next.
- In the Start Menu Folder window, click Next.
- In the Ready to Install window, click Install.
- In the Completing the Wolfram Mathematica installation window, click
Activating Mathematica on a PC
- Locate the Wolfram Mathematica program on your PC and launch the file.
- In the Activate Mathematica online window, enter your activation key and click
- In the Mathematica License Agreement window, read the Mathematica License Agreement, check the box by “I accept the terms of this agreement”, and click
OK to launch the program.
Reviewed: 0213 By: JB
Additional help with the installation and configuration of
UW-supported software is available:
Contact the IT Help Desk at 766-HELP (4357), option 1
Contact your IT user consultant
Contact the IT Help Desk at 766-HELP (4357), option 1
Come to the student computer lab in the lobby of the
Information Technology Center.