Download and Install Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac (student install)
The University of Wyoming has purchased a Microsoft Campus Agreement with Student Option subscription, allowing enrolled students the right to install Microsoft Office and Office Mac suites and Windows operating system upgrades on their personal computers.
UW students have the option to download software over a high speed Internet connection or order the software on CD. UW Information Technology has partnered with
Kivuto for distribution of Student Option software.
Downloaded software is provided at no cost. CDs that are ordered must be paid for by the student. Students may choose to have the CDs shipped to them directly (media plus additional shipping charges) or pick them up at a campus location (charge for media only). Each student is entitled to one copy of each qualifying product.
See the WyoWare FAQ (www.uwyo.edu/askit/displaydoc.asp?askitdocid=941&parentid=1) to learn about what software is available through this Agreement, how to attain and install the software, estimated costs if you choose to order the CD, whether you are eligible to run the software, and other pertinent information.
Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac Applications
- MSN Messenger
- Microsoft Server Exchange Support
- Automator Actions for Workflows in Microsoft Office
Minimum System Requirements for Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac
- Processor: A Mac computer with an Intel processor.
- Operating System: Apple Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later.
- Memory (RAM): 1 GB of RAM or more.
- Hard Disk: 2.5GB for a recommended install
- HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) hard disk format
- Drives: DVD drive (or connection to a local area network if installing over a network).
- Display: 1280 x 800 or higher resolution monitor.
- Mouse or compatible pointing device.
- Entourage and certain features require Internet access.
- Safari 5 or later recommended
- Additional information on the system requirements for Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac and specific items and services can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/mac/office2011features/office2011.mspx .
NOTE: These are the minimum requirements for running Office 2011 for Mac. Performance may be degraded if the computer resources are limited by a minimum configuration.
- Downloading the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac Installation File
- Go to the UW Application Software and Resources site (www.uwyo.edu/software), and click Students.
- In the Microsoft Software for UW Students page, read the Microsoft Campus Agreement with Student Option FAQ linked to from this page, and click Start download/order process HERE near the bottom of the page.
- When prompted for a name and password, enter your UWYO domain username and password, and click Log In.
- In the Available Microsoft Software page, select Office 2011 for Mac, and click Continue.
- In the Terms & Conditions for Use of This Web Site page, read through the acceptance form, select I accept the terms of the above agreement, and click Continue.
- In the Select Software Delivery Method page, select Download software (free), and click Continue.
- The download may begin automatically depending on the browser you use and its settings. If you get a message box asking if you should open the file or save it to disk, select to Save to Disk, and select your Desktop as the location to which to save it.
- If you encounter a message box stating "Office_Mac_Standard_2011_English.dmg" contains an application. Are you sure you want to continue downloading “Office_Mac_Standard_2011_English.dmg”?, click Continue to mount the disk image, and close the download window if it is still open.
NOTE: The Office 2011 for Mac installation file, Office_Mac_Standard_2011_English.dmg, is now saved to your Desktop (or other specified location) making it easy to locate. It is strongly recommended that you backup this file to an external device (USB flash drive, CDR, etc.), before continuing this process, as it will be needed if it ever becomes necessary for you to re-install this software.
- If the image does not mount automatically, double-click the Office_Mac_Standard_2011_English.dmg file on your Desktop or download location to mount the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac image to your Desktop.
- Installing Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac
- In the Microsoft Office 2008 window, double-click Office Installer.
If a warning window appears, click Continue.
- In the Install Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac: Introduction window, read the message and click Continue.
- In the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac: License window, read the license, click Continue, and then click Agree.
- In the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac: Installation Type, if the location listed is acceptable for installation, click Install.
- Type in your administrator username and password and click OK.
- The installation process will begin.
- If you get a message stating "quit_apps" is an application downloaded from the internet…, click Open.
- In the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac: Summary window, click Close to complete the installation.
- If you receive the following screens on installation, do the following:
- In the Your copy of Office for Mac is now activated window, note the product key and press Continue
- In the Existing/New Settings window, choose to use your existing settings or create new settings and click Continue.
- In the Keep Office for Mac up to date? window, choose whether or not you want to keep Office for Mac up to date, and if you want to join the customer experience improvement program. You can also register your copy of Office 2011 online at this time. Click Continue when done.
- In the Congratulations! You're now ready to use Office for Mac window press Done.
- Locate OFFICE2011MAC$ on your Desktop, and drag it to the trash to un-mount it.
- Opening a Microsoft Office Application
- Click one of the Office icons that is now in your dock.
NOTE: The first time you launch one of the of Office applications, Office will do an initial software setup. This only happens once.
Reviewed: 1010 By: SB, GG
Additional help with the installation and configuration of
UW-supported software is available:
Contact your IT user consultant
Contact the IT Help Desk at 766-HELP (4357), option 1
Contact the IT Help Desk at 766-HELP (4357), option 1
Come to the student computer lab in the lobby of the
Information Technology Center.