ASUW Honorary Cowboy of the University of Wyoming
The “Cowboy Up” spirit is something that every student at the University of Wyoming represents at some point during their time at UW. UW students may demonstrate this spirit during a sporting event, in the classroom, or around the Laramie community.
The Associated Students of the University of Wyoming (ASUW) Honorary Cowboy Award was established in 2011 to honor one of our own who exemplified the “Cowboy Up” spirit during his life threatening struggle. Derek Augustin, the son of Lisa Augustin who is the ASUW Office Associate, was diagnosed with neuroblastoma in 2011 and fought hard to overcome the illness. It was the initiative of the ASUW Executives and Senate to honor Derek for his “Cowboy Up” spirit, during the trying time of his illness. ASUW is now seeking to recognize another child facing a formidable life condition and/or circumstances that requires a “Cowboy Up” spirit to become an Honorary Cowboy of the University of Wyoming for the 2013-2014 academic school year.
Criteria for recognition are as follows:
- Students in K-12 Wyoming schools are eligible for the honor.
- An individual should emulate an upbeat attitude representing the “Cowboy Up” spirit of the University of Wyoming student population.
- An individual facing a formidable life condition and/or circumstances that requires a “Cowboy Up” spirit that leads to ultimate triumph.
- An individuals should have the support of community and family that is constant with that of the University assisting individuals and aiding to the spirit of “Cowboy Up”
The following policies govern the awarding of the scholarship:
- Recipient(s) of the award shall be selected from Wyoming K-12 schools by a committee comprised of: an ASUW Executive, who will serve as chair of the committee, an ASUW Senator, a member of the ASUW Staff, a designee from the Athletics Office, and a student-at-large (hereinafter called “Committee”). All members of the Committee (with the exception of the Athletics Office designee) shall be selected by the ASUW President. The above outlined Committee will choose the award recipient during the spring semester of each year.
- The recipient shall be evaluated, in part, by the above mentioned criteria for recognition.
- The recipient shall also be evaluated, in part, by a 750 word essay written on the topic of why the nominated individual exemplifies the “Cowboy Up” spirit and is deserving of the Honorary Cowboy.
- The recipient shall also be evaluated, in part, by one letter of reference describing the nominees “Cowboy Up” spirit.
For an application please click here.