Biomedical Sciences Curriculum & Course Work
The program consists of a minimum 21 credit hours of core courses, 15 credit hours from electives in sub-speciality areas and 18 credit hours of research. A minimum of 72 total credit hours is required. Students with a master's degree can transfer 30 credit hours into the Biomedical Science PhD program with consent of the dissertation committee.
Required Core Coursework - 13 credits
(assumes completion of basic background coursework)
- Epidemiology (3 credits)
- Interdisciplinary Seminar in Biomedical Sciences (1 credit/year for at least three years)
- Research Ethics (new course; 3 credits)
- Graduate Level Physiology Course (3 credits)
- HLSC/MOLB 4310 Foundations of Scholarship and Discovery (1 credit)
Three Courses from the Following List - 9 credits
- STAT 5050 (or other statistics course; 3 credits)
- MOLB 5600, General Biochemistry (3 credits)
- BIOL 4600, Cell Biology (4 credits)
- MOLB 5670, Develop. & Molecular Cell Biology (3 credits)
- PHCY 6230, Pharmacology I (4 credits)
Recommended Program Electives (illustrative) - 6 credits
The Biomedical Science program is designed to be flexible and, with consent of the committee, a broad profile of electives at the 4000 and 5000 level are available. The intent of the elective pool is to build depth in a sub-specialty area.
- KIN 5025, Exercise Physiology (3 credits)
- KIN 5047, Research Biomechanics (3 credits)
- FCSC 5141, Carbohydrate & Ethanol Metabolism (3 credits)
- KIN 5062, Applied Concepts in Human Aging (3 credits)
- CHE 5100, Biomedical Engineering (3 credits)
- PATB 5510, Introduction to Virology (3 credits)
- HLSC 4700, Health Informatics (3 credits)
- HLSC/MOLB 4520, Public Health Issues in Developing Countries (3 credits)
- HLSC/MOLB 4530 Global Experience in Public Health (2 credits)
Concentration Area - 9 credits
9 credit hours are selected from the student's area of concentration
Research Hours - 6 credits (from Masters program)
6 credit research hours are completed.
Dissertation Hours - 12 credits
12 credit hours of dissertation are completed.