Sidebar Site Navigation
Benefits of Internships
A Win-Win-Win Situation
The three parties involved in an internship have differing objectives and therefore, it is important to have a definition of "internship" upon which all parties can agree. The National Association of Colleges and Employers defines an internship as: a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent.
- Students participating in the program are able to apply classroom and textbook theories to a "real world" setting. Students learn first-hand how to use their academic skills.
- Students gain valuable experience in their field of endeavor for post-graduate employment opportunities.
- Most intern positions are salaried to provide a financial incentive.
- Students are able to establish networks in the business community and their performance can lead to long-term employment with the same company after graduation.
- Many students are given special projects to assist the business in developing new millennium management practices. This provides the students with a sense of achievement and belonging.
- Students may receive academic credit for the internship. Click here to read more about other students' internship experiences.
- Employers receive a well-educated, motivated college student to assist them in the practical application of the latest business strategies and techniques.
- Employers gain the opportunity to recruit and hire long-term, knowledgeable employees.
- The College of Business and its students become a valuable resource for all aspects of the employer's business.
- Our students and the Internship Program will help the employer achieve a sustainable competitive advantage.
College of Business Benefits
- The College is able to provide a well-rounded, experienced-based education for our students.
- Postgraduate placement rates are enhanced for our students, which may broaden networks for future graduate opportunities.
- The College faculty actively participates in service and research for the participating business.
- The Internship Program is a way to establish and strengthen strategic alliances and partnerships.