Sidebar Site Navigation
How to Apply for Credit for an Internship
The College of Business highly encourages all students to take part in an internship, but does not require that credit be elected. To receive credit, the internship must be approved prior to the start of work.
Credit for internships must meet the following criteria:
1. The internship is not with a family business.
2. The intern has been with the employer for less than three months OR has recently been promoted or assigned a new task/project that will occupy most of the intern's time (see point 3).
3. The intern will complete a minimum of 80 hours of work for every hour of desired credit. Please note: credit may be received for multiple internships if each opportunity presents a new learning objective. Please inquire with the JCC to learn more.
4. The internship adheres to NACE (National Association for Colleges and Employers) standards:
a. The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
b. The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
c. The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
d. There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student's academic coursework.
e. There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
f. There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
g. There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
Once you have secured an internship, complete these steps to apply to receive credit:
1. Determine if you meet the prerequisites for one of the following courses, and talk to the AAO about if the credit will count toward your degree:
2. Complete the Student Application for Internship Credit.
3. Submit your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off a hard-copy at the Johnson Career Center.
4. Ask your employer to complete the Employer Application for Internship Credit.
It is easiest to send your employer a link to the application and you may be required to assist in the completion of this application.
International students may be required to submit additional paperwork in order to receive credit for a paid internship. Please inquire with the Johnson Career Center staff or International Students and Scholars office to learn more.
Economics and finance graduate students should obtain course registration information from the Economics and Finance Department.
We will process your application upon receipt of all application materials to determine if credit can be awarded. If your internship is approved for credit, you will be notified as to the next course of action to register for the course (enrollment is controlled) and required to attend a mandatory internship orientation held prior to or at the beginning of each semester.
If you have any questions regarding internships or the credit process in the College of Business, please contact the JCC at 307-766-4807 or email@example.com.