How to Apply
Including the following:
- We prioritize the training of physicians for practice in Wyoming.
- Our program is interested in recruiting and retaining a diverse group of residents.
- Osteopathic Graduates
- Traditional and Nontraditional Students
We hope this information is helpful to you. We wish you continued success in your career.
- We have a limited budget for expenses and assistance with the interview
candidates. Early application will increase the opportunity of money being available, as it is allotted on a first come first serve policy.
- Early application is also important as the number of interviews that we conduct is limited.
- Meeting our criteria will not guarantee you an interview. We look at
the overall application and the applicant's fit with our program.
- Personal interviews are required.
To apply you must:
- Complete an ERAS application and submit it to the University of Wyoming Family Medicine Residency Program at Cheyenne.
- Must meet all ERAS application deadlines.
- Submit three letters of recommendation. One must be from a family
physician and one can be from the Dean. Letters of Recommendation must include:
- Commitment to patient care
- Quality of clinical skill
- Interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm for self-learning
- Ability to function as team member in the delivery of health care
- Submit an official transcript from the National Board of Medical
Examiners and/or the official transcript from the national board of
Osteopathic Medical Examiners showing passing scores for COMLEX Steps I and 2 by January 30, 2013.
- Present achievement of ECFMG Certification for all International
Medical School Graduates (including completion and passing of the
Clinical Skills Assessment Exam) by January 30, 2013. In order to be considered to receive an interview, no more than one
failure per exam will be considered with no more than two failures combined for the three exams.
- Though we do not have a minimum score for these exams, scores of 200
or higher are given priority. Scores lower will require outstanding Dean's letters and letters of recommendation
- Provide proof of a Permanent Resident or documentation of US
citizenship. (Our program is unable to sponsor visas of any kind).
- Have graduated from medical school no longer than 3 years ago. (After July 1, 2010 for the starting class of July 2013).
- If it is longer than 3 years then certain clinical criteria must have been achieved.
- U.S. clinical experience is required of a significant nature during the time from graduation to the present time.
- This clinical experience must include significant exposure to obstetrics and pediatrics.
- Direct patient care with a family physician that is of a significant
nature and must include a letter of recommendation from this
- Demonstrate a true commitment to Family Medicine.
- Demonstrate US clinical experience of at least one-month duration at
a US academic medical setting (i.e.: Medical School or Residency
- Have completed at least one
four week rotation that involved direct patient care with a family
physician in the US and must have an accompanying letter of recommendation.
- Demonstrate oral and written English language proficiency.
Your Personal Statement must include:
- What unique attributes you would bring to our program.
- Comments regarding your knowledge of Wyoming and its rural and
frontier settings and how you see yourself interacting in Wyoming in the future. Though we interview and match those who do not intend on
staying in Wyoming, it is our program's goal to place its graduates in Wyoming.
are conducted October through January on Fridays unless that day is a
holiday. Letters inviting you to interview will be sent out as your
application is received and reviewed. If you are invited for an
interview, plan on spending a workday with us.
you to submit your completed applications early in order to secure an
interview slot. Please contact our office at (307) 777-7911 ext. 100 if
you have any questions about our program or application process.