Civil and Architectural Engineering
College of Engineering and Applied Science
Licensure & Certifications
- B.S. Architectural Engineering, University of Wyoming, 2002
- M.Arch Master of Architecture, University of Oregon, 2005
- Architect, State of Wyoming, No. B-0271(2012)
- LEED Accredited Professional (2008)
- Fundamentals of Engineering Examination (2002)
- American Institute of Architects (AIA), Architect Member
- U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), Wyoming Board of Directors
- International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA)
- National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS) - Building Enclosure Technology and Environment Council (BETEC)
- Freeform Energy, Founder, 2009 - 2014
- Helmuth Obata Kassabaum, London, Washington, DC, Firmwide, 2006 - 2009
- G+A Architects, Paris, FR, 2005
- SERA Architects, Portland, OR, 2004 - 2005
- McCall Design Group, San Francisco, CA, 2004
- UW Building Energy Research Group (http://www.uwberg.org/)
- Building Performance Analysis (BPA) in the Design Process
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) in the Classroom
- Zero Energy Home Design
- Fundamentals of Building Performance
- Architectural Design I-IV
- Collaborative BIM Design
- Architectural Graphics
- Architectural Engineering Study Abroad in Europe
- Mortar Board Top Professor Award, 2014
- AIA TAP BIM Awards, Academic Achievement Honorable Mention (with Anthony Denzer), 2011
- 2007 Autodesk Revit Design Awards, Non-Residential over 2500sqm Winner, Overall Winner (with HOK London)
Papers and Presentations
- (with Milt Geiger and Tony Denzer) Renewables and Energy Efficiency in Rural Wyoming – Why Grampa Chopped Too Much Wood, 2015 Wyoming Association of Conservation Districts State Conference, Laramie, WY.
- Net-Zero Energy Residential, AIA Wyoming Winter Conference, Emerging Professionals/Young
- Architects Forum (EP/YAF), Laramie, WY, 2014
- “Chaos and Beauty in Architecture,” 2014 AIA Wyoming Winter Conference, Emerging Professionals/Young Architects Forum (EP/YAF), Laramie, WY.
- (with Tony Denzer) “Is Solar Electric or Solar Thermal Best for You: We guide you through the benefits of each,” Barnyards and Backyards. Spring 2014 edition, Laramie, WY.
- (with Tony Denzer) “Keep on the Sunny Side: Lower your utility bills with passive solar techniques,” Barnyards and Backyards. Winter 2013 edition, Laramie, WY.
- BIM and Simulation Software for the Design and Analysis of High Performance Buildings. USGBC Montana Annual Meeting, Missoula, MT, 2012
- (with Gang Tan, Tony Denzer and Mahdokht Soltaniehha) 2012. “Net Zero Residential: Feasibility and Microclimate Responsive Design for a Cold Climate,” 2012 ASES National Solar Conference. Denver, CO.
- (with Gang Tan, Tony Denzer and Mahdokht Soltaniehha) “Passivhaus and Net Zero residential designs: a simulation based design process for the next generation of green homes,” 2012 Ibpsa SimBuild, Madison, WI.
- (with Gang Tan) "Utilizing a Multidisciplinary Design Team for Energy Efficient Renovations of Existing Buildings," 2011 ASCE Architectural Engineering Conference, Oakland, CA.
- (with Tony Denzer) "Drawing and Modeling: Analog Tools in the Age of BIM," 2011 ASCE Architectural Engineering Conference, Oakland, CA.
- (with Gang Tan and Tony Denzer) "Integrated Design Studio Utilizing a Multi-disciplinary Design Team," Ecobuild America 2010 (National Institute of Building Sciences), Washington, DC.
- "Integrated Design Lab: Using BIM for Sustainable Design," 2010 Autodesk University, Las Vegas, NV.
- "Building Performance 'Stump the Chump,'" 2010 Autodesk University, Las Vegas, NV.
- "Energy Modeling," 2010 USGBC Wyoming Annual Conference, Jackson, WY.
- "BIM for Integrated Design: A Process for Design Analysis," AUGI/AEC Edge, Spring 2010.
- "BIM and Simulation Software for the Design and Analysis of High Performance Buildings," 2010 Wyoming Sustainability Summit, Laramie, WY.
- (with Patrick Mcleamey) "BIM for Sustainable Design at HOK," BIM BOP: The Second Annual USC Symposium on Building Information Modeling + Sustainable Design, 2008, Los Angeles, CA.
- Faculty Senate, CAE representative
- Architectural Engineering Institute (AEI) Faculty Advisor
- Race to Zero Student Design Competition Advisor
- Charles Pankow AEI student Design Competition Advisor
- Advisor for Honduras medical clinic, AEI, Engineers without Borders, Health Sciences Dept W/ Shoulder to Shoulder, 2010 - 2012
- AEI Student Energy Audit team Advisor