Some of the content on this website requires JavaScript to be enabled in your web browser to function as intended. While the website is still usable without JavaScript, it should be enabled to enjoy the full interactive experience.

Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions|Division of Communication Disorders

Contact Us

Division of Communication Disorders
1000 E. University Ave., Dept. 3311
Health Sciences, 265
Laramie, WY 82071
Phone: 307-766-6427
Fax: 307-766-6829
Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)

Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers)
for Distance Inquiries

Do you offer a Master's degree in speech-language pathology on-line?

We offer courses distance, but not usually fully on-line. Courses are most frequently offered through a combination of videotaped lecture, conference calls, and internet support. You can take the course from your house, anywhere in the nation and beyond.

How long will it take to get a distance Master's degree?

Three years, including 2 summers on campus.

Can I get the Master's degree if I have a Bachelor's degree in another field?

You must complete a set of core undergraduate courses (called Leveling) to be eligible for the master's program.
Can I just enroll in a master's program? No, acceptance is on a competitive basis. See admission for application procedures.

Can I take graduate courses without being in the Master's degree program?

You may take graduate courses on a non-degree basis, provided you have the prerequisites, on a space available basis.  You must change your status to non-degree graduate for any semester in which you take a graduate course.

Do I have to apply for the Leveling program?

You do not have to apply for the leveling program. You enroll on a course-by-course basis through Outreach as a non-degree undergraduate student.

How much does it cost?

Contact Outreach Credit Courses at for fees and enrollment procedures.

How long does the Leveling coursework take?

The leveling coursework takes three years, with 1-2 courses offered each fall and spring.

What courses are offered?

Go to our Course Schedule web page for a list of the courses and when they are offered. The Leveling schedule is also on our webpage.  The cycle repeats itself each 3 years.

What about pre-requisites for the Leveling courses?

You can take the distance leveling courses in any order. The instructors are aware that students join the 3-year cycle at any time and so do not assume prior knowledge.

Can I take the Leveling full-time at a distance?

No. You must come on campus to take the leveling full time. On campus, you can take additional valuable optional courses and still finish within one academic year.

Can I take the Leveling elsewhere?

You can take a similar array of courses from other universities and apply then to our master's program. Conversely, you can take our leveling and then apply to other master's programs.

What else do I need besides the Leveling courses?

You need documentation of 25 hours of clinical observation of an ASHA-certified SLP or audiologist. You also need one college-level non-remedial course in each of the following: social science, physical science, biological science, and statistics.

When do I apply for the Master's degree program?

You apply for the master's degree program in the final year of your leveling coursework.  The deadline is in January of each year and acceptances are for the following fall.

Are exceptions made to the "2 summers on campus" requirement?

No. Most of our students have families and jobs around which they must work. It is critical that we teach and evaluate our students in a controlled clinical environment before sending them out to external practica around the nation. In addition, intensive academic classes that are not offered distance occur each summer.

How long are the summers?

The 2 summers on campus are approximately 9 weeks long, from the second week of June to the first week of August.

Will prior work experience count toward reducing the clinical training requirements?

No. We must provide equitable clinical training for on-campus and distance students. We cannot assure the quality of prior work experiences, so such experiences cannot count toward clinical instruction.

Can I take the clinical externships locally?

Yes. Externships can often be arranged locally, if ASHA-certified supervisors are available and their employers are amenable.

Where can I get more information?

There is additional information on the master's application process, distance program details, and on-campus programs in the accompanying web pages for the Division of Communication Disorders.  You can also contact Dr. Ukrainetz to answer questions not dealt with by the web page material

Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming Medallion
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us // Download Adobe Reader // Accessibility Accessibility information icon