University of Wyoming Ellbogen Center for Teaching and Learning
-- How to package, port, display, and share a presentation made up of written materials such as slides, images, or documents --
PowerPoint: a proprietary data format and presentation engine, requiring execution in a Windows or Mac environment in order to display your work.
HTML: the web "markup" language, which can be shown in any browser.
|Authoring Method||Packaging and Porting|
Text or hand-written transparencies
|Transparencies + media
Onsite Requirements: Overhead projector
Mac systems: KeyNote application
Onsite Requirements: Ppt file + display engine (either MS PowerPoint, or PowerPoint viewer)
Pack-and-Go with Viewer:
Showing from Online:
|Files on storage||Written materials + media
files + fonts and notation
Onsite Requirements: Whatever application is suitable (Notepad for text, MS Word for ".doc," browser for HTML)
|HTML editor for development:
HTML can be (1) written in plain
text with tags; (2) written with an HTML editor such as Kompozer under
its friendly rich-text interface; (3) written with a commercial
web-authoring program such as Dreamweaver or FrontPage; or (4) "Saved
As" HTML or Web Page from a file developed with office suite software,
such as MS Word or Excel.
|Various||Store in "Cloud" (see below)|
· Edit from anywhere
· Import/export with PowerPoint
· Watch simultaneously online from remote locations.
· Embed on website
· Google Presentations: The New Google Docs Module For Sharing, Co-Editing And Creating Online Presentations: http://www.masternewmedia.org/presentation/online-presentations/Google-Presentations-module-for-Google-Docs-review-20070918.htm
· EXAMPLE: https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0AWj0AQBEzybjZG42ZHRtdl81MmZybWRyYmc0&hl=en_US
· Using SlideShare to Share Presentations http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/crossmedia/advice/slideshare
· EXAMPLE: http://www.slideshare.net/frankcalberg/11-advantages-of-using-a-blog-for-teaching
By using Prezi from an internet browser, you can:
Last update:10 Jan 2012; RKH