Office Hours: By Appointment
Location: McWhinnie Hall 211
Phone: (307) 766-3128
- Ph.D. The Ohio State University 2001: Curriculum, Qualitative Research, and Professional Development
- Postdoc, University of San Diego 2001
- M.Ed. Kyungpook National University 1993: Curriculum
- B.A. Daegu National University of Education 1991: Education
- Multicultural Education in/as Curriculum Studies
- Standards-based Educational Assessment; Formative Assessment Theory
- Qualitative Research Methodology & Evaluation (Critical Cultural Studies)
- Cho, J. (in press). On critical performance race theory: Principles, pedagogy, and loving community. In K. Shin (Ed.), Multicultural Education in Global Era. New York: NOVA.
- Cho, J. (forthcoming). Evaluating qualitative research: Approaches, cases, and ongoing debates. New York: The Oxford University Press.
- Jaime, A., & Cho, J. (resubmitted). A Postcolonial reflection on the audacity of hope: Toward A pedagogy with/for an understanding Heart. Submitted to Multicultural Education Review.
- Roxas, K., Cho, J., Rios, F., Jaime, A., & Becker, K. (2015). Critical Cosmopolitan Multicultural Education (CCME). Multicultural Education Review 7(4), 230-248.
- Cho, J., & Trent, A. (2014). Evaluating qualitative research. In P. Leavy (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Qualitative Research (pp. 677-696). New York: The Oxford University Press.
- Trent, A., & Cho, J. (2014). Interpretation strategy. In P. Leavy (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Qualitative Research (pp. 639-657). New York: The Oxford University Press.
- Cho, J., & Eberhard, B. (2013). When Pandora’s Box is opened: Perceived problems and hopes for Standardized testing in Wyoming. The Qualitative Report, 18 (Art. 20), 1-22. Retrieved from http://www.nova.edu/ssss/QR/QR18/cho20.pdf [SCOPUS Journal]
- Cho, J. (2012). On critical performance race theory: Principles, pedagogy, and loving community. Multicultural Education Review, 4(2), 1-37 (1 cited)
- Cho, J., Rios, F., Trent, A., & Mayfield, K. (2012). Integrating language diversity into teacher education curricula. Teacher Education Quarterly, 39(2), 63-85 (2 cited)
- Cho, J. Walker, J., Cardona, V., & Wasilik, O. (2010). Ethics and politics of critical cultural studies in international contexts: Autoethnographic tales of growing qualitative researchers toward co-constructive social justices. Asian Journal of Educational Research and Synergy, 2(1), 1-22.
- Cho, J., & Trent, A. (2010). Lawrence Stenhouse. In C. Kridel (Ed), Encyclopedia of Curriculum Studies (pp. 814-815). SAGE Publications.
- Trent, A., Cho, J., Rios, F., & Mayfield, K. (2010). Democracy in teacher education: Learning from preservice teachers’ Understandings and Perspectives. Education in a Democracy: A Journal of the NNER (National Network for Educational Renewal), 2, 183-210.
- Cho, J., & Trent, A. (2009). Validity criteria for performance-related qualitative work: Toward a reflexive, evaluative, and co-constructive framework for performance in/as qualitative inquiry. Qualitative Inquiry, 15(6), 1013-1041 (SSCI Journal, 17 cited).
- Cho, J., & Trent, A. (2006). Validity in qualitative research revisited. Journal of Qualitative Research, 6(3), 319-340 (SSCI Journal, 536 cited).
- Cho, J., & Trent, A. (Fall-Winter 2005). “Backward” curriculum design and assessment: What goes around comes around, or haven’t we seen this before. TABOO: The Journal of Culture and Education, 9(2), 105-122 (6 cited).
- Kim, Y. C., & Cho, J. (2005). Now and forever: Portraits of qualitative research in Korea. QSE: International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 18(3), 355-377 (16 cited).
- Cho, J. (2002). A review: Qualitative research in curriculum & instruction. Journal of Curriculum Theorizing, 18(4), 179-186.
- Cho, J. (1998). Rethinking curriculum implementation: Paradigms, models, and teachers’ work. ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 421 767 (38 cited)
[Publications in Korean Language]
- Lee, Y., & Cho, J. (2007). An ethnographic study of the management and organization of centers for teaching and learning (Faculty Development Centers) at U.S. universities. The Korean Journal of Comparative Education, 17(4), 49-88).
- Joo, W., & Cho, J. (2007). Understanding teachers’ perceptions and their teaching practices for identifying possible curriculum applications. The Korean Journal of Social Studies, 14(1), 61-86.
- Cho, J., Hur, C. S., & Kim, Y. C. (2006). Validity Issues for qualitative researchers in educational/curriculum studies: Understanding different approaches. The Korean Journal of Curriculum Studies, 24(1), 61-95 (5 cited).
- Cho, J. (2006). On Ralph W. Tyler’s curriculum studies: History and criticism. In Y. Kim (Ed.), After Tyler: Curriculum Theorizing 1970-2000 (pp. 71-104). Seoul, Korea: Moonyumsa.
- Cho, J. (2005). Thinking about backward curriculum design. The Korean Journal of Curriculum Studies, 23(1), 63-94.
- Lee, Y., Kim, Y., Lee, H., Cho, D. J., Kim, Y., & Cho, J. (2005). Action research for educational improvement. Seoul, Korea: Hakjisa.
- Kim, Y., & Cho, J. (Eds.). (2004). Qualitative research in curriculum and instruction (2nd Ed.). Seoul, Korea: Moonyumsa.
- Cho, J. (2004). Fieldwork in qualitative research: Theory, practice, and reflection. In Y. C. Kim & J. Cho (Eds.), Qualitative research in curriculum & instruction (2nd Ed.) (pp. 547-576). Seoul, Korea: Moonyumsa.
- Cho, J. (2003). Fieldwork in qualitative research: Theory, practice, and reflection. The Journal of Elementary Education Studies, 10(2), 141-165.
- Cho, J. (2002). Curriculum implementation and teachers’ work: A phenomenological approach. The Korean Journal of Curriculum Studies, 20(1), 229-252.
- Cho, J. (2002). Theoretical analysis of the concept of “teacher as researcher.” The Korean Anthropology of Education, 5(2), 193-225.
- Cho, J. (2002). Teacher induction and its tentative solutions. The Journal of Elementary Education Studies, 9(1), 109-135.
- Kim, Y., & Cho, J. (2001). The qualitative research methodology in curriculum studies. The Korean Anthropology of Education, 4(3), 145-169.
- EDST 3500 Quantitative Reasoning
- EDST 3550 Educational Assessment
- EDCI 5500 Classroom Assessment: Assessment for Teaching & Learning (Masters)
- EDCI 5870 Seminar in Assessment (Postbac)
- EDRE 5530 Introduction to Research (Masters)
- EDRE 5650 Advanced Qualitative Research Methods (Doctoral)
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)