Sidebar Site Navigation
Office Hours: By Appointment
Location: McWhinnie Hall 209
Phone: (307) 766-3126
- Ph.D. University at Albany 2009: Language and Literacy Education
- CAS University at Albany 2007: Reading
- M.S. University at Albany 2006: Reading
- Teaching Certificate University of California Los Angeles 2001: TESOL
- M.M. Manhattan School of Music 1996: Piano Performance
- B.A. California State University 1994: Piano Performance
- Psychoanalysis and Education
- Intercultural and Multicultural Education
- Cross-Cultural Pedagogies
- The Sociology of Education
- Second Language Teaching and Learning
- Shim, J. M. (In Press). The story of anti-racist project as difficult knowledge: Misalignment between conscious intent and unconscious desire. Journal of American Association for the Advancement of Curriculum Studies.
- Shim, J. M. (2013). Multicultural education as emotional situation: Practicing encountering the unexpected in teacher education. Journal of Curriculum Studies.
- Shim, J. M. (2013). Clashes within one teacher’s racial logic: Space of possibles? Teaching Education, 24(3), 239-264.
- Shim, J. M., Gibbs, C., Morgan, R. & A. Schaefer (2013). Moving beyond knowledge and awareness in diversity education: Back and forth process. Education in a Democracy: A Journal of the NNER, 5, 20-35.
- Shim, J. M. (2012). Pierre Bourdieu and intercultural education: It is not just about lack of knowledge about Others. Intercultural Education, 23(3), 209-220.
- Shim, J. M. (2012). How teachers’ emotions interact with intercultural texts: A psychoanalytic perspective. Curriculum Inquiry, 42(4), 472-496.
- Shim, J. M. (2011). Structuralism’s relevance in a Post-structural era: Re-visiting research on multicultural curricular studies. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 43(6), 739-758.
- EDST 2480: Diversity and Politics of Schooling
- EDST 2450: Foundations of Development and Learning
- EDCI 5430: Theory and Methods of ESL I
- EDCI 5440: Theory and Methods of ESL II
- EDCI 5880: Internship in English as a Second Language
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)