Sidebar Site Navigation
The University of Wyoming College of Education was formed in September, 1914 with professor John Oscar Creager serving as dean (Dean 1914-1917).
Normal School and future location of 1st College of EducationBuilding (light colored building to left of Old Main).
Three factors contributed to this development: the continual evolution and significance of the State Normal School to the preparation of teachers for Wyoming, the establishment and growth of the University Prep School, and a growing need for secondary education in the state. Under the new college there were two departments: the Department of Elementary Education and the Department of Secondary Education. (To read more about the history of the University of Wyoming, see Deborah Hardy  Wyoming University: The First 100 Years, 1886-1986, published by the University of Wyoming; and Robert F. Nobel's  The College of Education: 72 Years of Teacher Preparation for Wyoming Schools, unpublished but copy available in the dean's office.)
New College of Education building opens, September, 1951
The current building in which the College of Education is housed admitted its first students in September, 1951. Dean of the College at this time was Oscar C. Schwiering (Dean 1939-1954), father of Connie Schwiering, the well-respected Wyoming landscape artist.
When the College building was completed in the summer of 1951, dean Schwiering spoke with pride about the facility being one of the finest in the country, incorporating novel design features such as rich natural lighting and glass brick in the windows to diffuse heavy southern light. Today this building is still home to administrative, as well as some department, and faculty offices; modern laboratories for art and computer instruction; and a K-9 university lab school (now under the supervision of Albany County School District #1).
The primary teaching facility for the College has moved into an adjacent newly renovated building (see facilities section for additional information).