Sidebar Site Navigation
PhD Program Requirements
Minimum of 79 total credits required in the following areas:
Core courses (minimum of 9 credits)
All PhD option areas require EDCI 5870 (Intro to Doctoral Studies). In addition, doctoral students, with direction from their committees, will choose a minimum of two additional courses from the remaining five core courses:
- CNSL 5900 (Practicum in College Teaching)
- EDCI 5600 (Diversity)
- EDCI 5810 (Writing for Publication)
- EDCI 5730 (Learning and Cognition)
- EDAD 5720 (Leader as Change Agent)
- EDRE 5660 (Dissertation/Thesis Prospectus Writing)
We also understand that students may meet the requirements for the core content in other ways, such as a master's degree in an area that emphasizes coursework in diversity or multi-cultural education. Committees may determine that the requirements for additional course(s) have been met. However, Introduction to Doctoral Studies may not be waived.
Cognate courses and advanced courses (minimum of 18 credits)
Advanced research courses (minimum of 12 credits)
All PhD Students are required to have a minimum of 12 dissertation credit hours.
- Preliminary exam (after coursework is completed): Guidelines determined by program, department, or committee
- Program Outcomes: Written demonstration is required to show PhD outcomes are met (determined by program, department, or committee)
- Dissertation (after preliminary exam): Guidelines determined by program, department, or committee
- Residency (check with program area for specific requirements)
Notes: These requirements for a PhD in Education are minimum requirements only. Students should check specific program options for additional requirements, including admissions criteria. Options approved prior to May 2009 may have different requirements.