Sidebar Site Navigation
Electrical and Computer
Engineering, Dept. 3295
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
Engineering, Dept. 3295
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
Robert F. Kubichek
Associate Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Room 5015, Engineering Building
University of Wyoming
College of Engineering and Applied Science
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
1000 E. University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071
- B.S. Computer Science, University of Wyoming
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Wyoming
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Wyoming
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of Wyoming
Areas of Expertise: Speech signal processing (speech transmission performance), electromagnetic compatibility (RFI from highly efficient variable speed drives), communications (software radio) remote sensing (remote avalanche detection).
Robert F. Kubichek received his Ph.D. from the University of Wyoming in 1984. He has worked in research positions at the BDM Corporation and the Institute for Telecommunication Sciences (U.S. Department of Commerce), and was also an adjunct professor at the University of Colorado from 1989-1991. He has been active in telecommunications standards development and was chairman of the Specialized Voice and Data Processing working group T1 Y1.2 from 1990 to 1992. Dr. Kubichek's interests are digital signal processing and communications. Current research efforts include developing new speech transmission performance measures, microwave sensing, and communication system simulation.
- The Institute for Telecommunication Sciences (ITS), National Telecommunications and Information Administration, U.S. Dept. of Commerce - Electronics Engineer. Research in assessment of speech communication systems performance; national and international standards development,1/87 to 5/91
- Graduate Faculty, University of Colorado at Boulder - Adjunct Professor,1/91 to 6/91
- Graduate Faculty, University of Colorado at Denver - Adjunct Professor,8/89 to 8/90
- The BDM Corp - Electrical Engineer. Research and applied problems in communications and pattern recognition,4/85 to 1/87
- Resource Geophysical Consultants - Consultant. Research and software development for seismic signal processing,4/85 to 1/87
- Boeing Computer Services - Engineer. CAD/CAM software design and development,10/77 to 8/79
- Consulting: Chinook Engineering, 1/00 to present.
Most Recent Publications and Presentations:
- Kubichek, R., "Amplitude Modulation ", RF Transmission System Handbook, CRC Press, scheduled for publication 2002.
- Wisniewski, M., J. Pierre, and R. Kubichek, "Characterization of Electromagnetic Interference from Variable Speed Drives," accepted at 27th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Nov. 29-Dec. 2, 2001, Denver, CO.
- Pierre, J.W., and R.F. Kubichek, "Investigating sampling and quantization using a digital storage oscilloscope," Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing; 2001, Salt Lake City, UT, May 2001.
- Lawton, C., R. Kubichek, and J. Pierre, Communication Teaching Laboratories - Hardware, Software, and DSP, Invited paper, 1st IEEE Signal Processing Education Workshop, October 15-18, 2000
- Quincy, E.A., R.B. Stafford, and R.F. Kubichek, "Spectral properties of ultra-wideband systems," Proceedings of Wireless 2000, 12th Int?l Conference on Wireless Communications, Calgary, Canada, July 2000.
- R. Jacquot, R. Kubichek, and J. McInroy, "Real Hardware Based Filter Laboratory Exercises for a Sophomore Linear Systems Course," Proc. 1999 Annual ASEE Conference, Computers in Education Division.
- Pierre, J.W., R.F. Kubichek, and J.C. Hamann, "Enhancing the Comprehension of Signal Processing Principles using Audio Exercises with MATLAB," Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing; 1999.
- R. Kubichek, "Identifying groundwater threats from improperly abandoned boreholes," HazTech Transfer Journal, January 1999.
- R. Kubichek, J. Lansford, J. Schroeder, "A prototype subcarrier system to transmit digital data over commercial AM radio," Proceedings of IEEE Globecom 98 Conference, Sydney Australia, Nov. 1998.
- R. Kubichek, J. Pierre, M. Straub, E. Arntzen, S. Steidley, "Electromagnetic interference generated by adjustable speed drives between 30 and 900 MHz," 1998 North American Power Symposium, Cleveland, OH, Oct 1998.
- B. Chowdhury, R. Kubichek, J. Pierre, J. McInroy, S. Ula, S. Legowski, "A multi-disciplinary research initiative in electric energy utilization," 1998 North American Power Symposium, Cleveland, OH, Oct. 1998.
- K. Vieira, B. Wilamowski, and R. Kubichek, "Speaker Identification Based on a Modified Kohonen Network," International Conference on Neural Networks ICNN 1997.
- B. Tapkan, S. Yoakum-Stover, R. Kubichek, "Active Remote Sensing of Road Surface Conditions," Transportation Research Record. NTRB Transportation Research Record, 1997.
- R. T. Arntzen, R.F. Kubichek, J.W. Pierre, and S. Ula, "Initial findings in electromagnetic emissions above 30 MHz from power inverters and variable speed motor controllers," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Aug. 1997, Austin, TX.
- R. G. Jacquot, J. C. Hamann, J.W. Pierre, and R. Kubichek, "Teaching digital filter design using Matlab and Derive," Computers in Education Journal, v.7, no. 1, January/March, 1997.
- J. Pierre, and R. Kubichek, "Open-Ended Digital Filter Design Project," Computers in Education Journal, Vol. VI, NO 1, Jan-Mar, 1996, pp. 7-12.
- R. Kubichek, "Amplitude Modulation Theory," CRC Electronics Handbook, 1997.
- E. Arntzen and R. Kubichek, "Graduate Student Views Of A Mentored Teaching Program," ASEE Annual Conference, Electrical and Computer Engineering Division, June 1997.
- E. Arntzen, R. Kubichek, J. Pierre, S. Ula, "Initial Findings on Electromagnetic Emissions above 30 MHz from Power Inverters and Variable Speed Motor Controllers," 1997 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility.
- R. Kubichek, J. Cupal, W. Iverson, S. Choi, M. Morris, "Identifying Ground-Water Threats from Improperly Abandoned Boreholes," Wyoming Water 97 Conference, Casper, WY.
- F. Kourouniotis, R. Kubichek, N. Boyd, A. Majumdar, "Application of the Wavelet Transform in Seismic Data Processing for the Development of New Noise Reduction Techniques," SPIE International Society for Optical Engineering, Annual Conference, Denver, CO, August 1996.
- R. Kubichek, J. Cupal, S. Choi, B. Qiu, J. Burke, M. Morris, "Identifying Ground Water Threat from Improperly Abandoned Boreholes," HSRC/WERC Joint Conference on the Environment, May 21-23, 1996.
- B. Tapkan, S. Yoakum-Stover, R. Kubichek, "Active Remote Sensing of Road Surface Conditions," Transportation Research Board: Fourth Annual Symposium on Snow Removal and Ice Control Technology, August 1996.
- Chiyi Jin and R. Kubichek, "Vector Quantization Techniques for Output-Based Objective Speech Quality," IEEE Int'l Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP) 1996.
- R. Jacquot, J. Hamann, J. Pierre, R. Kubichek, "Improving Digital Filtering Course using Symbolic and Numeric Computer Packages," 1995 Annual Meeting of the Rocky Mountain Section of ASEE.
- R. Kubichek, "Using Matlab in a speech signal processing class, Computers in Education Journal, Vol. V, No. 3," July-Sept. 1995
- C. Jin and R. Kubichek, "Output-based Objective Speech Quality Using Vector Quantization Techniques," IEEE 1995 Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers.
- S. Saroor, R. Kubichek, J. Schroeder, "Simulation of RBDS AM subcarrier modulation techniques to determine BER and audio quality," 1995 Vehicular Technology Conference, Chicago, IL. Also presented at MPRG Wireless Personal Communications Symposium, Blacksburg, VA, 1995.
- R. G. Jacquot, J. C. Hamann, J.W. Pierre, and R. Kubichek, "Teaching digital filter design using Matlab and Derive," 1995 ASEE Conference.
- J. W. Pierre and R. Kubichek, "Open ended digital filter design project," 1995 ASEE Conference.
- J. C. Hamann, M. Schroer, and R. Kubichek, "A classroom demonstrator for real-time digital signal processing," 1995 ASEE Conference.