Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Frequently Asked Questions

Rhetoric and Composition

What is the difference between the Literature Concentration and the Rhet-Comp Concentration?

While the Rhetoric and Composition Concentration involves many of the same requirements as the Literature Concentration, the Rhet-Comp program features an emphasis in interdisciplinary pedagogy and a focus on exploring varied ways of making meaning and learning to help others do the same.

What can I do with a English MA with a Rhet-Comp Concentration?

In itself, the Rhet-Comp Concentration is excellent preparation for a career as head of a writing center, instructor at a community college, corporate writer or any number of other fields. It also provides a solid foundation for further graduate work in English studies.

What are the requirements for completion of the degree?

In order to be awarded the degree, students must complete 26 hours of course work, a reading list oral exam and a thesis. For more information, go to general program requirements in the MA in English.

How long does the program take to complete?

The length of time the individual student takes to complete the MA degree varies depending on factors such as whether or not the student takes classes full-time, but on average the MA degree takes two years (four semesters) to complete. Typically students take 9-10 credit hours per semester, but this can vary considerably.

What kinds of course do Rhetoric and Composition MA students typically take?

Within the department, students have taken courses in composition theory and pedagogy, technology and pedagogy, technical and professional communication and rhetoric. For example, recent semesters have featured courses on the rhetoric of the body, Disney discourse, and the video game as composition. Outside of the department, students have taken courses in international studies, media theory, sociology, American studies, and educational theory, among others.

What kind of funding is available?

All full-time admitted students are offered Graduate Assistantships that offer a waiver of tuition and fees, student health insurance, and a generous stipend of $12,078, which covers living expenses in Laramie, Wyoming. (An additional $2000 summer stipend is also provided.) The English Department also has a fund for travel and research for which its graduate students are eligible, as well as opportunities for other departmental and university scholarships. For further information on scholarships and financial aid available for graduate students please visit the University of Wyoming's Graduate Student Financial Assistance information page available online through Graduate Education.

Where can I find more information on the English graduate program and application requirements?

Please go to the MA in English main page and application instructions.

Contact Us

Department of English - 3353

Master of Arts in English

1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 766-6452


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon