Applying for a Master of Arts in English
Applications for admission to the Master of Arts in English are accepted starting in September for the following fall semester. The application deadline is February 1st. Students are only admitted in the fall semester; no applications for starting in the spring or summer will be accepted.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in previous coursework.
- Solid undergraduate background with courses in English (however, undergraduate degree need not be in English).
- International Students: Minimum of 605 on the TOEFL and of 5.0 on the TWE (Click here for additional international requirements.)
- Minimum GRE score of 291 recommended.
Applying to the Program
- Apply online to the University of Wyoming Graduate Student Admissions.
- Request transcripts be sent to the University of Wyoming admissions office directly from your school. The address to send transcripts is UW Admissions, Department 3435, 1000 E. University Ave., Laramie, WY 82071.
- Submit GRE general test scores using school code 4855.
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- Submit a 10-12 page critical writing sample.
- Submit a 500 word statement of purpose.
- NOTE: Supplemental material may be submitted online after paying your application fee, or sent directly to the address below. It is not necessary to do both.
The English Department awards graduate assistantships on a competitive basis.
Assistantships carry an annual stipend of $11,349 and cover full-time tuition and fees.
Department Graduate Assistants will teach one class of English 1010 (Composition) a semester.
New graduate assistants participate in a week-long seminar before Fall semester begins.
All graduate assistants attend weekly meetings with fellow assistants and an experienced mentor.
Applying for a Graduate Assistantship
- Submit a UW graduate assistantship application form.
- Submit a 100 word statement of purpose that discusses why you want to teach and what you have to bring to the classroom.
Send graduate assistantship application (if applicable), letters of recommendation, writing sample, and statement of purpose (post or email) by February 1, 2013 to:
MA Application Submission
Attn: Gwynn Lemler
Department of English - 3353
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071