Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Frequently Asked Questions

Is this the right course for me to take?

Everyone has to fulfill the WA (basic writing) requirement at UW. Unless you have transfer credit or have already satisfied this requirement in some other way, you should take English 1010 to fulfill the WA requirement.

How many papers will I have to write?

There are five major papers that have to be completed in order to pass the course. The number of minor papers and drafts required will vary from instructor to instructor.

How will my work be graded?

All 1010 instructors use a grading rubric which is standard across the department. No matter which section you are in your work will be held to the same guidelines as everyone else's work.

Is it okay for me to text in class if I am discreet?

No. All cell phone use is prohibited in the classroom as it is distracting to your classmates and disrespectful of your instructor.

What are office hours?

Office hours are time that your instructor has set aside specifically to be available for you and the other members of your class. You do not have to make an appointment - all you have to do is drop in. Take advantage of this resource as it is a great way to develop a rapport with your teacher and get help in a one-on-one setting.

Is there any way I can get outside help with my papers?

Yes. In addition to your teachers and online resources (such as the ENGL 1010 Online Student Handbook), the Writing Center is open from 9am-4pm, Monday through Friday located in Coe 302. Each semester the Writing Center conducts a Freshman Writing Workshop in which a block of time is dedicated solely for freshman composition students to be able to drop by for help without having to make an appointment. Please call 766.5250 to make an appointment or find out when their drop-in hours are.

Do my papers have to be typed? What if I don't have a computer or my computer goes down?

Yes, all papers have to be typed. Don't worry if you don't have a working computer, since there are computer labs located throughout the campus, particularly at Coe Library.

Is it okay to use papers that I wrote in high school for ENGL 1010?

No. If you wish to explore topics from previous papers feel free to discuss this with your instructor, but understand that in order to gain the full benefit from 1010 you need to give your full attention to each assignment. Academic dishonesty is not taken lightly at the University of Wyoming, so always ask if you are not sure. Double dipping (using the same paper for two classes) may be acceptable in a specific situation, but both instructors must be aware of the situation and have given it their approval.

How many tardies equals an absence?

This will vary, so make sure to contact your instructor to find out their specific policies. Understand that being late to class is disruptive and distracting to others, and sends out a signal to your instructor that you are not taking the class seriously. Often quizzes and in class writing assignments are given in the first few minutes of class, and if you are late you will miss these.

What if I have more questions about what is expected of me in class?

Refer to your instructor's course policies, and always remember: when in doubt, ask.

What if I took the AP Exam or want to test out of ENGL 1010?

Students showing proficiency by passing examinations such as the College Board Advanced Placement Program (AP), for example, or examinations developed by University of Wyoming departments may earn college credit through the level of demonstrated proficiency. Credit may be allowed on the basis of any testing procedure acceptable to any department, which may include tests of the AP program and both the general and subject (specific) examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP).

A student may not earn credit by examination in a course if the student has completed a course in the subject matter area above the level of the course for which the examination is sought. 

An examination of an appropriate type and content for the credit sought may be conducted to determine if the applicant's proficiency is equivalent to that which could be expected upon completion of a college-level course in the subject. An applicant found to have this level of proficiency will be awarded credit for that course and allowed to proceed either with more advanced courses or with courses in other areas.

Refer to the Registrar's Office website for more details on credit by examination and Advanced Placement.

Share This Page:

Contact Us


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window) Find us on YouTube (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon