Sidebar Site Navigation
About the UW Jazz FestivalOur goals for the UW Jazz Festival are simple: great music with outstanding and positive jazz education. These simple objectives promise to make this an enlightening and enjoyable experience for students, teachers, and audience members.
Jazz Festival highlights will include:
- Outstanding guest artists and clinicians: Michael Rodriguez, trumpet, Damani Philips, saxophone, David Scott, voice, Kelsey Shiba, voice, Ed Breazeale, drums, and UW Jazz Faculty.
- The Wyoming All-State Vocal Jazz Ensemble rehearsal and Thursday night performance.
- Evening concerts featuring guest artists performing with the Ben Markley Jazz Combo
- Student performances in the recently renovated UW Union that features outstanding performance and warm up spaces, food on site, and easy bus drop off and pick up.
- Reasonably priced Priority Registration fee of $100 per student group (registration must be complete by February 1 to receive Priority Registration fee).
- An outstanding student group from each day can be invited to present a pre-concert performance before the guest artist concert.
- Complimentary entrance for all performing students and teachers to the evening guest artist concerts.
- Director’s Reception. A complimentary reception for directors that will occur prior to evening concert with guest artists.
- Rehearsals with guest artists that are open to students and directors. An inside look at how jazz artists assemble their music.
Dr. Ben Markley
UW Jazz Festival Director
Visiting Assistant Professor of Music
Dr. J. Scott Turpen
Director of Jazz Stuides
Professor of Music