How to install ringtones
Download the ringtone to your phone
- Open the downloads page on your computer, right click, and Save As the mp3 file to your computer
- Send it to yourself via email
- Open your email program on your cell phone, download the file with a long press, and then Save it to your Downloads or Ringtones folder
For an iPhone
- Open iTunes on computer.
- Find Ragtime Cowboy Joe Ringtone on your list of music.
- Open your Music library, locate any song you would like to make a ringtone and select it.
- Right-click on the song.
- Click on Create an AAC Version.
- When you are happy with your timing, right-click (Ctrl+Click) on song again and select “Create AAC Version”.
- Change the file extention.
- For PC:
- Select the new AAC segment. There will now be 2 versions of the song in your iTunes library, select the one with the :30 (or whatever you chose) time duration. Right-click on it and select “Show in Windows Explorer”. This will open the folder that contains the file.
- Turn on file extensions. If your Explorer is configured to hide the extensions of files, you will need to enable them. Click Tools and select Folder Options. In the View tab, uncheck the “Hide extensions for known file types” box.
- Right-click on the smaller version of the song. There will be two files with almost the same name. Look at the file size to determine which is the shorter version. Select “Rename”.
- Change the extension from “.m4a” to “.m4r” and press Enter.
- For MAC:
- Select the new AAC segment. There will now be 2 versions of the song in your iTunes library (be sure to select your new version). Right-click (Ctrl+Click) and select “Show in Finder”.
- A finder window will pop up and there will be 2 versions of the song. The version with the smaller size is the one you want. Right-click (Ctrl+Click) on the smaller version and select “Get Info”.
- Once the “Get Info” window pops up, go to the “Name and Extension” section and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r and exit the window. You will be asked if you’re sure you want to change, select “Use .m4r”.
- For PC:
- Remove the short version from your iTunes playlist.
- Open the iTunes window and select the short version of the song. Right-click on it and select Delete from the menu. Delete the song from the library, but DO NOT delete it from the hard drive.
- Double click the m4r version of the song in the Finder or the Explorer Window.
- This should automatically reopen iTunes, and the m4r file will be added to your Tones library. Click the Library menu on the left side of iTunes and switch to Tones to verify that it is there.
- Sync the ringtone to your iPhone.
- You can now sync your iPhone as usual, whether you do it manually or automatically the ringtone will appear in the ringtone section on your phone. Make sure that ringtones are set to be synced when you sync your iPhone.
- Set your ringtone.
- Once you’ve synced the ringtone to your iPhone, you can set it as your active ringtone by opening Settings, selecting Sounds, and then tapping Ringtone. Your new ringtone should be on the top of the list.
On an Android phone or tablet
- Press your Menu key and then Settings
- Tap Sound and then Phone Ringtone
- Find your ringtone and press it