Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW
Union building with snow

Our History

Fraternity and Sorority Life began in the early 1900's at the University of Wyoming as an opportunity for men and women to support one another while providing a greater benefit to the University - something that still exists to this day. 

In the 1930s, University of Wyoming President Arthur Crane proposed the idea of creating a designated area within school property specifically for residences to house the University’s fraternities and sororities. Known as “Fraternity Park,” Crane believed that having the fraternities and sororities so close at hand would not only improve the living conditions of the students but also bring them more closely within the influence of the university.

Wilbur Hitchcock designed the first sorority in the park – Pi Beta Phi — in 1930. The buildings had to comply with the look of other University of Wyoming buildings, including the exteriors, sidewalks, and landscaping. - From WyomingSteakHouse.com)

Group at original fraternity house

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon