Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Advising and Registration

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is a “W” number?

A: Your “W” number is a randomly assigned 8-digit identification code that is used as your university identification number instead of your Social Security number. You will need your “W” number whenever you complete official paperwork.

Q: What is WyoWeb?

A: WyoWeb is your personal portal to the University of Wyoming systems. After you obtain your username and password, you should set your homepage to WyoWeb to have quick access to email, your course, the calendar, your degree evaluation, and much more.

Q: Does the University of Wyoming accept AP credit or other credit by exam?

A: Students showing proficiency by passing examinations such as the College Board Advanced Placement Program (AP), for example, or examinations developed by University of Wyoming departments may earn college credit through the level of demonstrated proficiency. Credit may be allowed on the basis of any testing procedure acceptable to any department, which may include tests of the AP program and both the general and subject (specific) examinations of the College Level Examinations Program (CLEP). If you've taken Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or College Level Examination Program (CLEP) subject tests, please have an official copy of your scores sent directly to the UW Admissions Office from the testing agency.

Q: How do I find out what courses I should take?

A: Your best resource is your advisor. Advisors have the tools to guide you and ensure your courses will count toward graduation. In addition, within WyoWeb, you can access your degree plan. Within WyoRecords, click on Students to log-in to the secure system. Then click on Student Records to find your Degree Evaluation. A personal plan will open in a new window on your browser. For help interpreting this, contact your advisor.

Q: How does advising work?

A: Before advising week, you will receive an email from your advisor to set up an appointment specifically to plan your next semester schedule. Make this appointment as soon as you see the email. (If you do not receive an email by the Friday before advising week, you should contact your advisor.) During an advising session, your advisor will help you develop a schedule and give you your Personal Electronic Registration Code (PERC) number that you will enter to register for courses in WyoWeb. You can also ask for advice on course withdrawal, resources on campus, career and major choices, financial issues, and any other concerns – your advisor will help you with answers and also put you in touch with the right offices.

Q: How do I find out who my advisor is?

A: See above to access your Degree Evaluation, and your Advisor information is on this Degree Evaluation below the classification and above the UW GPA. If you need help identifying your advisor’s contact information, see below for information:

Bridge & Exploratory Studies:
Advising, Career, & Exploratory Studies, Knight Hall 222
Arts & Sciences:
A&S Advising Center, basement of the east wing of Ross Hall
Agriculture & Natural Resources:
College of Agriculture Building Room 160 C
Teacher Preparation & Advising Office, Room 100 McWhinnie Hall
(307) 766-2230,
Academic Advising Office is in BU 175
(307) 766-2063, 
Engineering & Applied Science:
The CEAS Academic Advising Center
Engineering Building Room 2085
Health Sciences:
UW Pre-Professional Health Advising, HS Room 110 
(307) 766-3878,
Haub School  (ENR):
Bim Kendall House, 804 E Fremont St.
(307) 766-5080, 
School of Energy Resources:
Advising & Career Center

Q: What is a Degree Evaluation?

A: Your degree evaluation is a critical part of documented progress to obtaining your degree. Each student and his/her adviser has access to an online progress-to-degree/advising support system that matches completed and current course work (along with any transferred courses from other institutions) with specific degree requirements. Your adviser will use your degree evaluation during your advising/planning appointment each semester. To access your degree evaluation, log into WyoWeb and follow these basic steps:

  • Choose the “Student Resources” tab.

  • Find the “Registration Tools” channel.

  • Click on the “Degree Evaluation” link.

  • Select a term from the drop down menu if prompted.

  • Select a degree program if prompted.

  • Select “Generate Request”.

  • Wait for the request to process.

  • Select “Remaining Requirements” to view the unmet requirements for your specific degree program or “Detailed Requirements” to view all major and minor requirements.

Q: What is a typical course-load for an incoming student?

A: If students enroll in 15 credit hours per semester, they have the best chance at graduating in four years. A course-load of five 3-credit courses is recommended. However, some courses have labs or more meeting times, so they are 4-credits. It is best to consult with your advisor on the best course-load for you.

Q: What is the minimum or maximum credit hours I can take an a semester?

A: The minimum credit hours to be full-time as an undergraduate student are 12. The maximum hours you can take without requiring an overload petition is 20.

Q: Where can I find the student catalog and the class schedule?

A: The Office of the Registrar’s website has both. The University Catalog includes information on all undergraduate and graduate-level academic programs and their specific requirements. It also lists course descriptions. It is updated every academic year, and your degree requirements are based on the catalog that is in effect the year you enter the university. The class schedule is the official list of all courses offered each semester. It can be found online at the Registrar’s webpage or you can use the ‘Look Up Classes’ feature on WyoWeb. 

Q: What are the student classifications? When do I switch from Freshman rank to Sophomore?

A: A Freshman (FR) is a student with under 30 credit hours. A Sophomore (SO) has between 30 and 59 credit hours, a Junior (JR) has between 60 and 89 credit hours, and a Senior (SR) has 90+ credit hours.

Q: When can I register for the next semester?

A: The date and time you can register depend on your classification. Graduate students, those seeking a second Bachelor’s degree, honors, and some veterans and student athletes have priority registration, which opens the end of October or March. The order of registration after that is seniors, freshmen, juniors, and sophomores. The final opening of registration is for new and returning students. 

Q: What are Linked Activities?

A: Some academic departments have courses which require labs and/or discussion sections in addition to the lecture. These are referred to as Linked Activities. This means that when you register for the primary activity (normally the lecture), you will be prompted to also register for the linked activity (normally a lab or discussion). You must enroll for the lecture and lab or discussion at the same time. In order to drop or switch sections of a primary-level activity, you must first drop the secondary-level activity/activities and find a new combination

Q: When I try to register for a class, I get an error. What does this mean?

A: Every registration error has a title. Pay attention to the type of error that comes up. Some common registration errors are: Closed Section when the course is already full and has NO wait list available; Closed - Waitlisted when the course is already full, but has a wait list available; Department when the course requires departmental permission (contact the department to correct); Link Error when a lecture, laboratory, or discussion component of a course is missing; Special Approval Required when the course requires special approval from the department (also known as 'controlled enrollment' – contact the department to correct); and Time Conflict when the course meets at the same time as another course already on the schedule.

Q: What is a pre-requisite? What if I think I already have the pre-requisite?

A: A prerequisite is a course requirement that must be completed before enrollment in another course or a degree program. Prerequisites for individual courses and degree programs are listed in the University Catalog. You are responsible for making yourself aware of prerequisites before enrolling in courses. 

Q: How can I tell how difficult a course will be based on its course number?

A: Lower division courses are those numbered between 1000 and 2999. They are typically taken during your freshman and sophomore years. Upper division courses, numbered 3000-4999, are normally taken during your junior and senior years.

Q: How many semesters of a foreign language do I need?

A: There is no university-wide requirement for foreign language, but many majors have foreign language requirements. In addition, taking a foreign language is one way to fulfill a USP requirement (among others).

Q: Are there opportunities for university exchange programs?

A: Contact the UWYO Abroad for information about exchanges, direct-enroll providers, faculty-led excursions, and internships. The ideal time to go on a study abroad is during your junior year after your University Studies Program coursework has already been met.

FAQ icon

Frequently Asked Questions: Registration and Advising

Contact Us

Learning Resource Network

Coe Library Room 219

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-2325


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon