Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Export Controls and Trade Regulations

Office of General Counsel

Export Controls and Trade Regulations

What are export controls and why are they important?

The export of certain items is regulated and controlled by federal law for reasons of national security, foreign policy, prevention of the spread of weapons of mass destruction and for competitive trade reasons.  These regulations affect not only research conducted on campus, but also travel and shipping items outside the U.S.

Three principal agencies regulate exports: the U.S. Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (“DDTC”) administers the export control of defense exports; the U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (“BIS”) administers export control of so-called "dual-use" exports; and the U.S. Department of the Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”) administers economic sanctions to embargoed countries and designated individuals and entities.

The Export Administration Regulations (EAR), enforced by BIS, and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), enforced by DDTC, may require the University to obtain prior approval from BIS OR DDTC before allowing foreign nationals to participate in research, partnering with a foreign company, or shipping items out of the U.S. OFAC prohibit most imports, exports and transactions with certain countries absent a general or specific license from OFAC. For more information, see

uw flag

When must I consider anti-boycott laws?

Anti-boycott laws must be considered in particular when a university contemplates global engagement with countries that participate in the Arab boycott of Israel, a boycott which the U.S. does not sanction.  As of May 17, 2009, the following countries participate in the Arab boycott of Israel: Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, the United Arab Emirates, and the Republic of Yemen (74 Fed. Reg. 15828 (Apr. 7, 2009)).  If you will be conducting business in one of the above countries or engaging in a contract with one of the above countries, contact the Office of General Counsel, Old Main 204, (307) 766-4997.  For more information, see


In what situation should I be concerned about the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act?

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) contains anti-bribery restrictions and should be considered when a university’s activity involves foreign government officials, their representatives, or representative agencies (including government-owned or controlled colleges, universities, and research institutions) and giving something of value to the foreign government officials, their representatives, or representative agencies.  If you have questions, contact the Office of General Counsel, Old Main 204, (307) 766-4997.  For more information, see

Contact Us

Office of General Counsel

Tara Evans, General Counsel

Old Main 204

1000 E. University Ave.

Dept. 3434

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-4997

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon