Vice President and General Counsel
Old Main, Room 204
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
Phone: (307) 766-4997
Fax: (307) 766-2993
The Legislature of the State of Wyoming enacted the Wyoming Public Records Act (W.S. §16-4-201 through 16-4-205) in order to provide the public with access to public records, books, and files of state governmental agencies (subject to exceptions). The Public Records Act defines "public records" as "the original and copies of any paper, correspondence, form, book, photograph, photostat, film, microfilm, sound recording, map drawing or other document, regardless of physical form or characteristics that have been made by the state of Wyoming and any counties, municipalities and political subdivisions thereof and by any agencies of the state, counties, municipalities and political subdivisions thereof, or received by them in connection with the transaction of public business, except those privileged or confidential by law." The law does not require the University to create or compile a record which does not exist at the time of the request.
The purpose of the Act is to promote disclosure and not secrecy in the workings of government. The University of Wyoming is subject to the Wyoming Public Records Act and will fully comply with all the provisions and requirements of the Act. The following document outlines the procedures for requesting public records, including when a fee may be charged related to a public records request.
1. Athletic agreements: Contact the Athletics Director of Compliance at firstname.lastname@example.org or (307) 766-3795.
2. Media: Contact the Director of Institutional Communications at email@example.com or (307) 766-2929.
3. Police reports: Contact UWPD at: http://www.uwyo.edu/uwpd/records/ .
4. Student directory information: Contact the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or (307) 766-5272.
5. General records requests: Contact the Office of General Counsel at email@example.com or (307) 766-4019.
The University will notify the requestor within three (3) business days that it has received the request, unless good cause exists preventing a response within that time frame.
Pursuant to the Wyoming Public Records Act, the University will respond to requests within a reasonable time. Please be aware that broad requests and requests that span more than one (1) year may require a significant amount of staff time to review.
The University Office of General Counsel reviews all records requests. Part of this review includes determining whether any legal grounds for exemption or withholding of records apply. If a request is denied, in whole or in part, the University will include in its written response the reason or reasons for the denial under the Wyoming Public Records Act.
Except as outlined below, the University does not charge for public records requests.
1. Standard Setup fee: $300.00
2. Phone fee: $25.00
3. Fee per selection (for example emails, majors, etc.): $50.00
4. Fee per list (this fee applies when a requester requests the same list, but with updated information, multiple times per year): $25.00. The fee per list does not apply to requests that are fulfilled by the University Information Technology Department. When a request involves the same list, but with updated information, and Information Technology must gather the information for the request, the requester will still be charged the setup fee and the fee per selection as outlined above.
University Fee Book: http://www.uwyo.edu/administration/feebook/ .
Wyoming Statutes 16-4-201 through 16-4-205: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/titles/statutes.htm
If you have any questions related to this policy, contact the University Office of General Counsel at (307) 766-4997.