Applied analysis and partial differential equations: nonlinear waves, existence & stability of traveling waves, Evans-function techniques, conservation & balance laws, gas dynamics, shock waves, combustion, integrable equations.
- Stability of viscous detonations for Majda's model (with Jeffrey Humpherys and Kevin Zumbrun), arXiv:1301.1260 (submitted).
- A second look at the Gaussian semiclassical soliton ensemble for the focusing nonlinear Schrödinger equation (with Long Lee), arXiv:1211.1988 (The published version has appeared in Physics Letters A).
- Computing the refined stability condition (with Nicholas Anderson and Allison Lindgren), arXiv:1207.4101 (accepted for publication in Quarterly of Applied Mathematics).
- The Gaussian semiclassical soliton ensemble and numerical methods for the focusing nonlinear Schrödinger equation (with Long Lee and Irena Vankova), Physica D, 241 (2012): 1767 - 1781.
- Spectral stability of ideal-gas shock layers (with Jeffrey Humpherys and Kevin Zumbrun), Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, 194 (2009): 1029 - 1079.
- The N-soliton of the focusing nonlinear Schrödinger equation for N large (with Peter D. Miller), Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, 60 (2007): 951 - 1026.
- Equivalence of low-frequency stability conditions for multidimensional detonations in three models of combustion (with H. Kristian Jenssen and Mark Williams), Indiana University Mathematics Journal, 54 (2005): 1 - 64.
I grew up in Fort Wayne, Indiana (the one-time magnet wire capital of the world), and I earned a BA in mathematics from St. Olaf College. My PhD is from Indiana University, Bloomington. After a post-doctoral stint at the University of Michigan, I came to Wyoming in 2005. Outside of mathematics, I enjoy skiing, ruminating on the New York Times crossword puzzle, drinking good coffee, and passionately following the (mis)fortunes of the Indiana University men's basketball team.