Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Additional Resources


Non-confidential Response and Support Resources:

Reporting to Law Enforcement

Anonymous Reporting. Anyone can make an anonymous report to law enforcement. Use the Confidential Sexual Assault Report Form. If the incident did not happen on campus, UWPD will forward the report to the appropriate jurisdiction.

Anonymous reports can provide information to law enforcement, but police are usually unable to act on anonymous reports. They will hold on to the information, and if you decide later to make a more formal report to law enforcement, you can let them know that you filed an anonymous report earlier, and the police may be able to connect the two reports. 

Information Only Reporting. You have the option to speak with a police officer without initiating an investigation. This type of conversation is referred to as an "information only report." The officer will make notes on any information you would like to share and will take your name and some contact information. However, the police will not take any action on the report unless you request it. Contact SAFE Project for more information on information only reporting.

Reporting for Investigation. You can make a report to law enforcement, and ask for an investigation. An investigative report usually is extremely detailed, and can take some time. Investigative reports are usually recorded for evidence. You can have an advocate sit with you while making the report. You have the option to call the police and ask for an advocate, or talk to an advocate first and then go together to make the report. SAFE Project or Stop Violence can answer some questions about reporting and help to identify the appropriate law enforcement agency.

Reporting to the University of Wyoming

All reports to UW, whether anonymous, for information only, or for investigation,
can be made online using the Report It form

Anonymous Reporting. If you would like your report to remain anonymous, then you can submit the form without including your name or contact information. However, UW will not be able to act on an anonymous report and will not be able to follow up with you for any reason. 

If you would like to file an anonymous report, we suggest working with a confidential resource like SAFE Project, so that in the event that you no longer wish to remain anonymous, someone can help connect you and your anonymous report.

Information Only Reporting. If you would like support from UW but do not want UW to initiate an investigation, you can file a report online that only includes your name. UW generally will not initiate an investigation without your permission, but there are exceptions including if your perpetrator has already been reported to UW for additional violations, or if the nature of what happened to you suggests that your perpetrator may be a threat to the entire campus community.

After you file your online report, the Assistant Dean of Students or the Title IX Office (Equal Opportunity Report and Response) will contact you to talk about your report and to answer questions about available support options.

We suggest working with a confidential resource like the SAFE Campus Advocate, who can help you navigate the UW reporting process.

Reporting for Investigation. If you would like to report to UW and would like UW to investigate your report, please include as much information as you know and can remember in your online report. 

After you file your online report, an investigator with the Dean of Students Office or the Title IX Office (Equal Opportunity Report and Response) will contact you to talk about your report and to answer questions about the investigation process.

You are welcome to have an advisor with you throughout the investigation process. A confidential advocate can work with you as an advisor, but you can also work with an attorney. The Wyoming Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault has a legal assistance program available to survivors of sexual violence. These attorneys can help you with civil legal matters, including the UW investigation process, and can provide assistance for free. You can contact the legal assistance program by calling 307-755-0992. You can also visit the SAFE Campus Advocate to get an application for the legal assistance program.

Confidential Response and Support Resources:

SAFE Project Campus Advocate.
SAFE Project, a local nonprofit agency that serves victims and survivors of sexual assault, domestic and dating violence, and stalking, has a full-time advocate located on campus to provide easier access for UW students. SAFE Project services are free and confidential. Please stop by the campus SAFE Project office at Knight Hall 103 if you have questions or would like to speak with the campus advocate.

The UW Psychology Clinic offers specific treatment for trauma resulting from sexual violence. Services are free for students who are working with the SAFE Project Advocates or the Assistant Dean. Therapy is provided by doctoral psychology students who are supervised by a trauma specialist. The Clinic also provides a free support group to survivors of sexual violence.

The University Counseling Center (UCC) provides short term, directed counseling on a range of issues affecting university students. Services are free for currently enrolled UW students. Counseling is provided by licensed counselors employed by UW. In certain cases, UCC may not be equipped to provide counseling, but will refer the student to appropriate resources on and off-campus.

Student Health Services (SHS) has a clinic on campus that provides free medical services to UW students who have paid their student fees. SHS cannot provide forensic exams, but is able to provide reproductive care, care for physical injuries, assist with pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing, and refer to psychiatric care and other support options on and off-campus.

Ivinson Memorial Hospital is close to campus, and is the home of Albany County's Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program. SANEs receive special training on working with people who have experienced sexual violence, as well as how to collect forensic evidence for use in a criminal process. The SANE forensic exam at Ivinson is free for anyone, but must occur within a week of the incident. SANEs can also provide forensic exams for people who have experienced other forms of physical interpersonal violence, including domestic and dating assault. SANE exams also do not require a report to law enforcement. SANEs can talk to you about your reporting options, including the option to receive an exam but not report to law enforcement. SAFE Project can also provide information on the SANE exam at Ivinson. Download the Ivinson Forensic Nursing brochure.

Laramie Reproductive Health (LRH) offers sliding scale reproductive care to anyone in Albany County. LRH cannot provide forensic exams, but is able to provide reproductive care, assist with pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing, and refer to additional care support options in Laramie.

Student Legal Services provides free legal advice to UW students who have paid their student fees. Student Legal Services cannot provide legal advice in cases against another UW student, but they can provide information in cases that involve abusive parents, abusers who are not UW students, criminal matters, cases against non-UW housing companies, and other situations.

The Wyoming Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (WCADVSA) has a legal program that provides free civil representation to qualifying applicants. Applicants must prove financial need (most UW students meet this qualification); must be victims of sexual violence as defined in an intake screening; and must be seeking civil, not criminal, legal services. Stop Violence and SAFE Project can provide applications to interested students, or students can contact the program directly.  

The UW Family and Child Advocacy Clinic provides free civil representation to qualifying applicants. Applicants must prove financial need (most UW students meet this qualification) and must be seeking civil legal services for issues related to being a victim of sexual or domestic violence.

Wyoming Legal Aid offers free legal representation in civil and criminal matters to qualifying applicants. Contact Legal Aid for more information.

Contact Us

Green Dot at UW


A steamboat logo on a green dot
Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window) Find us on Instagram (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon