Each year, the Morris K. Udall and Steward L. Udall Foundation awards scholarships of up to $5,000 and honorable mentions to sophomore and junior level college students across the US. The application process is highly competitive: only a select group of UW students will be chosen as national nominees. Scholarships are offered in any of three categories:
- To students who have demonstrated commitment to careers related to the environment; or
- To Native American and Alaska Native students who have demonstrated commitment to careers related to tribal public policy;
- To Native American and Alaska Native students who have demonstrated commitment to careers related to Native health care.
Find complete details and application instructions at the Udall Foundation Undergraduate Scholarship page.
Timeline and Procedure
- Step 1: Candidate Registration - The online application for the Udall Scholarship will be available during fall semester, with the exact date to be determined. Students who wish to be considered for nomination by UW must first register using the online system. Candidates must request permission to register for the online application from the University of Wyoming's Udall faculty representative.
- Step 2: UW Review - On or before February 13, 2015, candidates will submit a completed application to be reviewed by a committee of UW faculty. The university may choose to forward as many as six outstanding applications to the Foundation for review.
- Step 3: Foundation Review - The final nomination deadline typically falls in early March. UW nominees must submit all 2015 materials -- including the application, letters, transcript(s), and tribal or permanent resident verification -- using the Foundation's online application system by March 4, 2015.
- Step 4: In March, the 2015 Udall Scholars will be announced on the Foundation's website.
If you wish to be nominated for the 2015 award, plan to meet with UW's Udall faculty representative Kit Freedman. For additional information on the pre-application process, call (307) 766-2068 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.