1000 E. University Ave
Laramie, WY 82071
The application process involves completing an online application and paying an application fee. In addition, you’ll need to submit several documents. Here is a checklist of the things you’ll need:
● Apply to UW online: http://www.uwyo.edu/admissions/graduate/index.html The Admissions process is completely online and all documents should be uploaded according to the instructions on the Admissions site.
● Upload unofficial transcripts for all institutions you’ve attended since high school. If you have UW credits or a UW degree, you do not need to submit your UW transcripts; we’ll have access to these.
● Have three recommenders upload letters of recommendation through the email link they will be sent. These letters should come from undergraduate instructors with whom you’ve had sustained contact. Instructors of seminars and small discussion-based classes will often have the best idea of your skills and interests.
● Upload unofficial GRE scores from ETS. These should be less than five years old.
● Upload a 10 to 20-page writing sample. This should represent your best and most sophisticated writing. A senior thesis or undergraduate seminar paper would be ideal.
● Upload your Statement of Purpose (see the section titled, “Your Statement of Purpose” below).
The Statement of Purpose is one of the most important components of your application. It tells us about your interests, your reasons for wanting to pursue a graduate degree, and something about your future plans. Along with your writing sample, it’s also a way for us to understand more about your writing style.
As you compose your Statement of Purpose, you should include at least the following (you can, of course, add more):
● Your reason(s) for pursuing an MA
● Your reason(s) for applying to the University of Wyoming
● Your major and minor fields of interest. You should have reviewed the list of faculty fields on the graduate website and contacted the faculty members you hope to work with before completing this section. Matching your interests with those of faculty is one of the central aims of the graduate program.
● Your future plans: moving on to a PhD program; working in Public History; working in K-12 education, etc.
● Indicate whether you are applying for a Graduate Assistantship