Sidebar Site Navigation
Secondary Education and History
For students interested in teaching history at the secondary level, the College of Education offers two main paths toward certification:
- The Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Studies Education (SSSE) with a concurrent major in History. This is an Education degree designed with an integrated major in History.*
- The Post-Baccalaureate Program in Social Studies Education
* Please be aware that the University of Wyoming differentiates between the terms "major " and "degree." Upon completion of the B.A. in SSSE with a concurrent major in History, a student will receive one degree (i.e. one diploma) listing both majors. This is not the same as receiving a degree in History. Since all Secondary Education degrees must include a concurrent major in another subject area, students pursuing the B.A. in SSSE & History cannot receive a separate, stand-alone B.A. in History. Students wishing to receive a stand-alone B.A. in History as well as certification to teach at the secondary level can do one of the following:
- Apply for the Post-Baccalaureate Program in Social Studies Education after completing the B.A. in History. Click here for more detailed information on this program.
- Consider pursuing a dual degree program that pairs the B.A. in History with a second B.A. in a different area of secondary education (such as the concurrent major in Social Studies Education and Political Science). Click here to learn about all available degrees in Secondary Education. Note that a dual degree program entails requirements in addition to those for each major. Consult the University Catalog for specific information (scroll down to the heading "Dual Degrees")