Employees Human Resources - Classification Compensation
This is a description of a staff position at the University of Wyoming, not a job opening announcement. Current job openings can be found at the Prospective Employees page.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities required.
Charter Bus Driver
Reports to: Designated Supervisor
UW Job Code: 7295
UW Job Family: 72
SOC Code: 53-3021
Pay Grade: 17
Date: September 01, 2010
Operate both short and long-haul University sponsored charter bus trips. Drive transit shuttles on fixed routes, and curb-to-curb Para-transit ADA shuttle service.
Education: High School Diploma
Experience: 2 years related work experience
Required Licensure, Certification, Registration, or Other Requirements:
- Valid driver's license with no moving violations and CDL class A or B with P endorsement are required.
- Must pass Department of Transportation drug and physical testing. Within six months following employment, must become certified in PASS (Passenger Assistance Safety and Service), 8-hour Defensive Driving Course, First Aid Certification, and CPR certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws governing the operation of passenger motor vehicles, for both short and long distances.
- Basic vehicle inspection and maintenance including tire pressure, checking oil and water levels.
- Basic safety practices related to driving.
- Writing skills and basic arithmetic.
- Principles of good customer service.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Basic operational characteristics of school transportation vehicle.
- Policies and procedures governing the reporting of vehicle accidents and incidents.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Operate a bus or van in a safe and legal manner.
- Use basic mechanic aptitude to identify vehicle problems and perform minor maintenance.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Maintain accurate and complete records.
- Understand and follow safety procedures.
- Safely and efficiently operate a loaded passenger bus.
- Read a street map and physically locate landmarks.
- Read transit schedules and timetables.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions, including departmental Standard Operating Procedures.
- Recognize hazardous driving conditions quickly and accurately and adopt effective courses of action.
- Effectively and tactfully with the public.
- Perform assigned duties with minimal supervision.
- Provide assistance to students entering and exiting a bus.
- Make mathematical calculations quickly and accurately.
- Perform clerical work such as filing, duplication, typing and maintaining simple records.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Drive bus and van as scheduled.
Perform long haul bus services as directed, according to applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
Perform routine safety checks; provide minor maintenance, cleanup and proper care of bus or van.
Comply with safety rules and regulations concerning traffic, weather conditions and general passenger care.
Assist in loading and unloading passengers on bus or van.
Responsible for fare box and collection of bus fares.
Maintain daily log of riders and fares collected.
As directed, assist with areas in parking and collection such as computer data entry of parking tickets.
Other duties assigned by supervisor.
Standard auto garage and multi-passenger vehicle environment(s); regularly exposed to confined spaces, adverse weather conditions, fumes and noise.
Authorized by Classification/Compensation, Human Resources
Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Participating in the University's hazardous waste minimization program is part of the job of each employee who uses (or may come in contact with) hazardous materials. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. University of Wyoming actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.