This is a description of a staff position at the University of Wyoming, not a job opening announcement. Current job openings can be found at the Prospective Employees page. The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities required.
Construction Design-Contracts Specialist, Senior
Reports to: Designated Supervisor
UW Job Code: 3022
UW Job Family: 3E
SOC Code: 11-9021
Pay Grade: 24
Date: March 01, 2008
Estimate, bid, plan and design complex maintenance and renovation projects; create project estimates, construction drawings, bid documents and specifications; provide effective design, advisory and quality assurance services for work on campus building and engineered systems; and supervise Construction Design Contract Specialists.
3 years work-related experience
Required Licensure, Certification, Registration, or Other Requirements:None
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Design and contract principles, processes and procedures in a construction environment as they pertain to a research university.
- Thorough understanding of the International Building Code (IBC), the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), state and local fire codes; and other applicable federal, state and local codes and regulations.
- Basic mathematical operations.
- The occupational hazards and safety precautions of the construction trade.
- Customer service standards and procedures.
- Effective communication methods and procedures.
- Technical writing principles, methods, and techniques.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Effectively communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Read, understand, and interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Efficiently and effectively design, plan, draw, estimate, bid, schedule and contract for multiple complex maintenance and construction projects.
- Perform excellent analytical and problem solving tasks.
- Perform detailed cost accounting and analysis.
- Be attentive to detail.
- Use computer including working with CAD system and other Microsoft or similar software applications, and Internet Explorer, as well as work with special systems such as the work order system.
- Establish and maintain effective and interpersonal working relationships.
- Provide excellent customer service and value for small and medium sized maintenance and construction projects.
- Work in fast-paced work environment and meet demanding deadlines for multiple projects.
- Work as a team member and foster a cooperative work environment.
Characteristc Duties and Responsibilities
Estimate labor, equipment, material and total costs on projects.
Maintain electronic record of project estimating factors versus actual cost data.
Design, plan and schedule maintenance and renovation projects.
Design in accordance and compliance with applicable codes and regulations.
Prepare drawings, specifications and contracts for projects; draft designs using CAD system.
Incorporate sustainable and safe practices into project designs.
Maintain design files for multiple projects.
Identify and resolve design issues.
Perform calculations required for design modifications.
Participate in design teams of in-house and/or hired design professionals.
Learn new technologies and incorporate knowledge into design abilities.
Write technical reports.
Prepare and submit plan reviews to state and local officials.
Prepare bid and request for proposal documents.
Advertise and bid construction projects.
Review and evaluate bid proposals for compliance and award.
Obtain budget commitments to perform work.
Prepare and execute maintenance and construction contracts.
Maintain contract files for multiple projects.
Identify and resolve contract issues.
Provide effective and timely customer communication and documentation.
Liaise amongst and between customers, faculty, staff, administration, contractors, and other third parties.
Identify and resolve customer design and technical issues.
Solicit customer feedback to ensure satisfactory service and value.
Perform site inspections to ensure the proper installation of specified engineered systems and materials.
Ensure compliance with the International Building Code (IBC) and other applicable state, federal and local codes and regulations.
Ensure contract compliance.
Research and analyze project performance statistics and key performance indicators.
Supervise Construction Design Contract Specialists including completing annual performance evaluations and setting goals.
Develop areas of expertise; remain current with industry trends and regulations; and learn new technologies relating to facilities and campus infrastructure
Attend conferences, classes and seminars, as directed.
Train and serve as a knowledgeable resource for others.
Various in/outdoor environments; exposure to construction site hazard including, but not limited to noise, mechanical, electrical, and motorized equipment and vehicles.
Authorized by Classification/Compensation, Human Resources
Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Participating in the University's hazardous waste minimization program is part of the job of each employee who uses (or may come in contact with) hazardous materials. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. University of Wyoming actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.