Employees Human Resources - Classification Compensation
This is a description of a staff position at the University of Wyoming, not a job opening announcement. Current job openings can be found at the Prospective Employees page.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities required.
Manager, Senior, Dining Services
Reports to: Designated Supervisor
UW Job Code: 3980
UW Job Family: 39
SOC Code: 11-9051
Pay Grade: 22
Date: May 01, 2009
Provides leadership, management, supervision and coordination over an assigned area of the Washakie Center food service and personnel operations; responsible for scheduling assigned support staff and resolving personnel and customer service issues; responsible for providing food service support staff training; oversee organization and cleaning of assigned food service area.
Education: Associate's Degree
Experience: 2 years related work experience
Required Licensure, Certification, Registration, or Other Requirements:
Safe serve certification
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Dining and restaurant operations of comparable size.
- Business organizational structure, workflow and operating procedures.
- Financial and business management principles, practices, analyses, and techniques.
- Standards of sanitization and cleanliness in the food service industry.
- Occupational hazards of the food industry trade.
- Communication methods and techniques.
- Supervisory and scheduling methods and techniques.
- Training methods and techniques.
- Time management and planning methods and techniques.
- Basic and advanced computer software/hardware in use in area.
- Set-up, serving, and cleaning methods and techniques.
- Food service safety regulations and procedures.
- Applicable department and University regulations and procedures.
- Applicable federal and state regulations and rules including safety regulations.
- Customer service methods and techniques.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Manage and schedule coverage for large food service support staff.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Hire, train, coach, supervise, discipline/fire and evaluate assigned support staff.
- Plan work schedules and maintain work and customer service standards.
- Build and strengthen teamwork concepts and support a positive work environment.
- Daily check dining room and assigned work areas for equipment, supplies, set-up and correct procedures, and cleanliness to prescribed standards.
- Attend several planning and assessment meetings and collaborate with different levels of staff.
- Interface with customers, students and staff and handle customer complaints.
- Work with the Visitor Center and for all special guests, groups, reserved meeting spaces and arrivals for the position serving the front of the house food service operations.
- Work with Assistant Director, Dining Services, Manager(s), Assistant Managers and supervisors on performance evaluations annually including meeting with benefited staff on a six-month check of their work performance; keep Assistant Director, Dining Services, apprised of all personnel or food service issues.
- Perform cash and credit card handling with occasional cash register work.
- Fill in as needed when short-staffed for food service coverage.
- Operate equipment and tools used in the food service industry.
- Enforce safety, sanitation, and quality standards, portion control, and efficiency of unit.
- Promote public relations.
- Maintain cleaning schedules and log books on assigned equipment for preventive maintenance and repair work.
- Work as a team member and support a cooperative team environment.
Characteristc Duties and Responsibilities
Provides leadership, management, supervision and coordination over an assigned area of the Washakie Center food service and personnel operations.
Hire, train, supervise and evaluate the work of assigned support staff.
Schedule support staff in assigned work areas, making certain of full labor coverage during serving of meals or after-hour special meals.
Create/use scheduling template; manage support staff work performance and hold employees responsible for their work efforts according to food safety, cleaning, hygiene and department standards; create/maintain substitution procedures for assigned support staff; and work with Assistant Director, Dining Services on staffing limits.
Daily check assigned food service work areas for equipment, supplies, set-up, cleanliness, and correct food safety, serving, and preparation protocol.
Work with assigned staff on portion control.
Assist with work in service areas, when needed; and provide support when short staffed. Attend and participate in planning and assessment meetings with different levels of staff regularly.
Interface with staff and customers; and handle customer complaints.
Position working on the front of the house food service operations will be the main contact for the Visitor Center and for all special guests, groups, reserved meeting spaces and arrivals and will work with appropriate University departments and Washakie Center units to provide professional food services.
Work with Assistant Director, Dining Services, other Manager(s), Assistant Managers and supervisors on an annual performance evaluations with six-month check meetings with benefited staff and perform evaluations in a fair and timely manner.
Work with cash and credit card handling according to University regulations and procedures.
Oversee cleaning schedules and equipment log records on assigned food service machines and maintain the operational policies and procedures on each machine, as directed.
Assist with food service computer system menu development, as directed.
Provide other duties, as assigned.
Work in a Food Services office, dining, dish room, storage, and kitchen area. Hazards associated with the Food Service industry including, but not limited to kitchen areas, serving areas, dining areas, storage areas, equipment/machinery areas, dish room area, and office areas.
Authorized by Classification/Compensation, Human Resources
Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Participating in the University's hazardous waste minimization program is part of the job of each employee who uses (or may come in contact with) hazardous materials. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. University of Wyoming actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.