Employees Human Resources - Classification Compensation
This is a description of a staff position at the University of Wyoming, not a job opening announcement. Current job openings can be found at the Prospective Employees page.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities required.
Reports to: Designated Supervisor
UW Job Code: 3732
UW Job Family: 3A
SOC Code: 29-1106
Pay Grade: 30
Date: July 01, 2004
Provides out-patient medical care to students; promotes overall wellness to campus community.
Education: Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathy degree
Experience: 5 years work-related experience
Required Licensure, Certification, Registration, or Other Requirements:
- A Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathy degree, plus valid board certification in a primary care specialty and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration.
- A valid license to practice medicine in the State of Wyoming is necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Medical information and treatment procedures.
- Legal and ethical standards for the delivery of medical care.
- Relevant drugs and non-pharmaceutical patient care aids.
- Community medical diagnostic and patient care services in area of medical expertise.
- Related accreditation and certification requirements.
- Current principles, methods, and procedures for the delivery of medical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment in area of expertise.
- Fundamental sciences underlying the practice of medicine.
- Departmental rules and regulations.
- State and federal laws, especially as they apply to the practice of medicine.
- Test and x-ray administration and assessment.
- Diet, hygiene and disease prevention methods, principles, and practices.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Observe, interview, and diagnose medical problems.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Advise, and train clinical professionals and/or students in area of expertise.
- Work both independently and in a team environment.
- Develop and present educational programs and/or workshops.
- Observe, assess, and record symptoms, reactions, and progress.
- Prescribe dosages and instruct patients in correct usage.
- Maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
- Plan, organize, assign, supervise, and inspect the work of professional, technical, and paraprofessional personnel.
- Interpret and write comprehensive and technical reports and papers.
- Plan and execute work efficiently.
- Exercise good judgment in evaluating situations.
- Foster a cooperative work environment.
- Advise patients regarding diet, hygiene, and methods of disease prevention.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Examine patients, diagnose illness, and prescribe treatment; provide referrals to patients when necessary.
Order or conduct various tests, analyses, and x-rays to provide information on patient's condition.
Analyze reports and findings of tests and examinations to diagnose condition and recommend treatment.
Administer or prescribe treatments and drugs.
Promote health by advising patients regarding diet, hygiene and methods of disease prevention.
Assist with training and instructing professional staff in Student Health, and coordinate delivery of health care services to University students.
Instruct and train health care professionals in appropriate specialty area on a rotating basis.
Medical clinic environment; regular exposure to biological and chemical hazards, fumes, vapors, and working in confined spaces; standing, sitting, reaching, and using hands are regular requirements of the position.
Authorized by Classification/Compensation, Human Resources
Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Participating in the University's hazardous waste minimization program is part of the job of each employee who uses (or may come in contact with) hazardous materials. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. University of Wyoming actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.