|ASSISTANT UNIVERSITY EXTENSION EDUCATOR - #0401
Department: UW Extension
College of Agriculture
Assistant University Extension Educator, non-extended term track, 4-H &; Youth Development.
Natrona County, Casper, WY. Position #0401. To assure full consideration, all application materials must be received by November 30 2013. Screening will continue until a suitable candidate is identified.
Level and Salary: Subject to annual reappointment and contingent upon availability of funds. Actual salary commensurate with education and experience. Upon completion of master's degree, demonstrated excellent performance, and availability of funds, promotion to extended term track extension educator position is possible.
Location Description: This position will be based in Natrona County, Casper, located in the center of Wyoming. The county population is approximately 71,750. The county seat is Casper which offers a multitude of choices for a wealth of natural and cultural history. Casper is the only place where the Oregon, Mormon, Overland, Pony Express, and Bridger Trails intersect. Cattle and sheep ranching were among the first enterprises, and diverse geological formations fostered the development of an energy industry fueled by oil, gas, coal, and uranium. Casper's central location has made it a focal point for regional- financial, retail, and medical services. Natrona County has one of the best and most progressive school systems in the state and is the home of the states' largest community college. The low crime rates, clean air, and wide open spaces make Casper an excellent place to live.
Nature and Purpose: This position provides overall leadership for UW Extension's 4-H youth programming in Natrona County and supports general UW Extension efforts in Natrona County.
Responsibilities and Essential Duties: The individual in this position works as a representative of the University of Wyoming (UW) in the delivery of a comprehensive 4-H youth development program. This function is realized through existing and new youth clubs, school enrichment activities, and other educational programming. Duties include:
-Provide leadership in recruiting, training, and retention of adult volunteers.
-Provide leadership in recruiting and retaining youth members in clubs.
- Provide leadership and support to 4-H Clubs, 4-H Councils, and project committees.
- Provide information to volunteers, youth, and parents regarding educational opportunities through the use of email, social media, applications, and print communication formats.
- Foster relationships and develop partnerships with other youth serving groups, schools, or organizations.
- Organize, coordinate, and support participation in 4-H events, camps, clinics, contests, and fairs.
- Coordinate registration, supervision, and transportation for participants in 4-H related events held in other counties, across the state, or out-of state.
- Implement educational programs, policies, materials, and activities as part of the overall efforts of the Wyoming 4-H program.
-Provide program evaluation, documentation, and reporting.
- Provide administrative oversight to financial and fundraising efforts involving 4-H youth and volunteers.
-Foster a culture of positive youth development in all 4-H programming efforts.
-Contribute to various teams including county office, multi-county area, state 4-H initiative, youth issues, and other UW Extension initiative teams.
Qualifications - Required:
- An earned bachelor's degree with academic training and/or professional experience relevant to the responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to pass a background screening through process determined by the University of Wyoming.
- A valid driver's license.
- Knowledge of positive youth development principles.
- Knowledge of teaching methods to teach a variety of youth and adult audiences.
- Knowledge of educational assessment, program development, implementation and evaluation.
- Skills and abilities to organize and facilitate educational programs, activities, contests, workshops, camps, and fairs as part of the 4-H program.
- Ability to recruit, train, and manage adult volunteers.
- Ability to develop partnerships with other youth serving organizations.
- Ability to resolve conflicts and mediate disagreements.
- Skills and abilities to use technology including various software applications, web, social media, and print materials for communications and program delivery integration.
- Ability to effectively communicate both written and verbally.
- Experience with underserved/non-traditional youth audiences.
- Ability to travel with some evening, overnight, and weekend work.
Qualifications - Preferred:
*Prior 4-H professional experience.
*Experience teaching youth and adult audiences.
*Knowledge of and appreciation for rural and agricultural communities.
*Knowledge of Extension and the land-grant university system.
Approximate Time Distribution:
4-H and Youth 100%
The University's policy has been, and will continue to be, one of nondiscrimination, offering equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without regard to such matters as race, sex, gender, color, religion, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, political belief, or other status protected by state and federal statutes or University Regulations.
The University of Wyoming is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search, employment and motor vehicle history. Offers of employment are contingent upon the completion of the background check.
Application Materials Required:
* Copies of all college or university transcripts (official transcripts are required at time of hiring)
*Current resume or curriculum vita
* Four (4) letters of reference from individuals who can address your professional qualifications
*A completed University of Wyoming employment application (http://www.uwyo.edu/ces/jobs/index.html)
*A brief narrative (not to exceed two pages) describing your vision for Natrona County 4-H and describing your qualifications, experience, and fit for this position.
University of Wyoming Extension
1000 E. University Ave., Dept #3354
Laramie, WY 82071