Sidebar Site Navigation
Research Scientist, University of Wyoming King Air - #4116
The Department of Atmospheric Science and Donald L. Veal Research Flight Center at the University of Wyoming is seeking applications for a Research Scientist for the University of Wyoming King Air Research Aircraft (UWKA) facility including the Wyoming Cloud Radar (WCR) and Wyoming Cloud Lidar (WCL). This is a world-class research facility owned and operated by the University of Wyoming and is part of the National Science Foundation's Lower Atmospheric Observing Facilities (NSF-LAOF).
The successful applicant will join a team of more than a dozen engineers and scientists that support the mission of UWKA of tropospheric observation and process studies. He/she is expected to participate in analysis of airborne data sets with special emphasis or understanding in one or more of the following areas: data quality control and assurance, data processing, and/or instrument calibration and evaluation. Other responsibilities include working with scientists in the UWKA group and the Department to document measurement capabilities and limitations and to develop new measuring and/or processing capabilities. Operational duties include participating in project feasibility evaluations, managing portions of field deployments, acting as primary scientific representative for the UWKA during field projects, and operating instruments on the UWKA during flight as a system scientist.
Requirements for this position include:
- M.S. (required) or Ph.D. (preferred) in atmospheric sciences, engineering or field closely related to the UWKA mission;
- Experience and expertise with airborne atmospheric science instrumentation and data sets demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications, conference presentations, and/or technical publications;
- Experience with aircraft operations as evidenced by previous participation in airborne science field campaigns (preferred);
- Ability and willingness to participate on the aircraft during flights as flight coordinator and scientific instrument operator on the UWKA and NSF/NCAR C-130 aircraft;
- Ability and willingness to participate for extended periods of time to support deployments of the UWKA and NSF/NCAR away from Laramie, including international locations;
- Knowledge and skill in use of computers and computer languages to analyze data sets and solve scientific problems (Unix, and Matlab and/or IDL, preferred); and
- Knowledge and skill with scientific data formats (netcdf preferred).
This position will be filled at either the Associate or Senior Research Scientist level. Additional duties for the Senior-level position will include one or more of the following: overseeing deployment logistics and scheduling, leading project feasibility analyses and assembling associated documentation, and working with scientific users to develop operational plans in advance of field projects.
Additional requirements for appointment at Senior Research Scientist include:
- Ph.D. in atmospheric sciences, engineering or field closely field;
- At least seven years of experience in airborne atmospheric measurements and/or related project management;
- A sustained record of publication in peer-reviewed journals;
- A successful record of leading interdisciplinary groups to accomplish desired objectives; and
- A successful record of planning for human and financial resources to achieve program objectives.
The University of Wyoming is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law and University policy. Please see www.uwyo.edu/diversity/fairness.
We conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Offers of employment are contingent upon the completion of the background check.
Application Materials Required:
Application Materials Required:
Applicants must provide a letter of application, a curriculum vitae, a narrative discussion of the applicant's specific experience, knowledge and abilities in meeting the requirements of the position, and contact information for at least three references. Send complete applications electronically, referencing position #4116 in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.